MamaBirds_Quail

Chirping
Aug 25, 2022
5829BE7C-61DA-4182-AE77-53F46DCE3723.jpeg

Aka: how blue does a blue egg need to be before its Celadon?! šŸ˜…

I bought these off EBay, from a woman who keeps I believe it was around 100 birds, mostly Pearls (though it says she has some pharaoh, Italian, and pansy fee)ā€¦ I didnā€™t pay Celadon prices, nor were blue eggs mentioned anywhere but as yā€™all can see, some of these eggs are undeniably blue-ish šŸ§

These are due to hatch the 13th, I just want to keep track of who came from a blue egg if yā€™all think that will pass on, or is this just the normal spectrum of shell coloring?

The blue eggs look like early eggs from celadon carriers and they will probably be less blue on the outside as the birds age, but will always be blue inside. They carry one copy of celadon.

Love ur incubator! And no , I'm not a expert but I would say none of those are celadon @FloorCandy @Nabiki
Thanks! Itā€™s a Kebonnixsā€¦ which was like a cheapie version of the Nuturw Right, but has actually been excellent! Iā€™m still working out how to make a quail specific turn plate, but the chicken one does an okay job.

Iā€™m looking forward to others weighing in, Iā€™m nervous to open the bator to take better pictures since weā€™re day 15 but maybe after they hatch?

Love ur incubator! And no , I'm not a expert but I would say none of those are celadon @FloorCandy @Nabiki
It is SO fascinating to me how quail seem to partially express het traits šŸ¤© this is the second one Iā€™ve encountered just today!

Iā€™ve seen eggs like this sold/referred to as ā€œmint chipā€ and genetics aside, theyā€™re just ADORABLE! My first group of eggs were all solidly brown on beige, and all with the larger splotches so these dainty little speckles and pastel colors have been so nice to admire ā˜ŗļø Hopefully these birds lay similar eggs themselves.

Thanks! Itā€™s a Kebonnixsā€¦ which was like a cheapie version of the Nuturw Right, but has actually been excellent! Iā€™m still working out how to make a quail specific turn plate, but the chicken one does an okay job.

Iā€™m looking forward to others weighing in, Iā€™m nervous to open the bator to take better pictures since weā€™re day 15 but maybe after they hatch?
I know I got the same one and wanted the nature as floorcandys has but settled for urs , there are changeable turners for the nature one that ppl 3d printed so you might be able to find some for the kebonnix

It is SO fascinating to me how quail seem to partially express het traits šŸ¤© this is the second one Iā€™ve encountered just today!

Iā€™ve seen eggs like this sold/referred to as ā€œmint chipā€ and genetics aside, theyā€™re just ADORABLE! My first group of eggs were all solidly brown on beige, and all with the larger splotches so these dainty little speckles and pastel colors have been so nice to admire ā˜ŗļø Hopefully these birds lay similar eggs themselves.
Hey u never know you need both copies but the offspring could come out with both or figure out which male and females have it and breed them for the offspring that lay blue blue with both the inside and outside copy good luck

I don't see any celadon eggs in there. I see some that may be carriers of the celadon gene, but no celadons.
This is so interesting! So, would it be accurate to say that birds het. for celadon lay eggs that are more in the green/not brown category plus/minus smaller speckles? Or is that more incidental?

I also saw on a different thread here that maybe the inside of the eggs is blue (I did notice this with my first batch, but only about half were blue) for heterozygous eggs, but the outside shell doesnā€™t turn bright blue without two copies?

I guess Iā€™m also under the impression that quail hens tend to lay eggs similar to the ones they hatched from, am I getting that right?

I didnā€™t end up buying celadon eggs from anyone because Iā€™d read several accounts of having some issues with general health in some lines, so Iā€™m not inclined to select for them, but the idea of having wee tiny ā€œOlive eggerā€ quail is quite cute!

Thatā€™s a lot of questions, sorry! And also thanks in advance? šŸ˜…

Hens will lay their own pattern, in my experience. Even if you breed celadon to celadon, you'll probably get about 80% celadon layers from the hatch.

You might be able to get celadon layers eventually from your hatch, but it will take careful record keeping and I'm not sure how many generations. At least the generations are short.

Back
Top Bottom