Are the chicks dead?

Ducky713

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2020
I may be talking to wall now, but I had a hen sitting on eggs for over a month. Yesterday, I candled the egg and I saw a beak “breathing”. The egg looks underdeveloped by a few days. I know chicks take naps while hatching, but I saw stringy particles that looks like textile fray and swayed when you move the egg. should I be concerned?

Are you able to post a photo?

I find that the embryo looks very black when they die and there's no evidence at all of veins. When they die they also sink towards the narrow end of the egg if it's in the later stages of incubation and there will be a watery yellow layer between the dead baby and the air cell.

Have a look at this article and compare the photos to what you could see:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ion-through-incubation-of-chicken-eggs.47879/

If hens aren't good sitters eggs can take longer to hatch.

Nothing should sway inside the egg at this point.
If you are moving the egg and something is moving along inside with your movement then that is not a good sign.

Are you able to post a photo?

I find that the embryo looks very black when they die and there's no evidence at all of veins. When they die they also sink towards the narrow end of the egg if it's in the later stages of incubation and there will be a watery yellow layer between the dead baby and the air cell.

Have a look at this article and compare the photos to what you could see:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ion-through-incubation-of-chicken-eggs.47879/

If hens aren't good sitters eggs can take longer to hatch.
I can see thin veins. the egg looks to be day 14 to 18 according to the pictures in the thread you linked, but the chick seems to be positioned lower in the egg. However, the embryo did not sink. I will try to get a pictur.

Did it hatch?
Sadly no. But we got the hen who was sitting on them 4 chicks. 1 died when I was out of town and another went missing. The remaining chicks are now in their teenager ish stage. The mom sat on the eggs for over a month and still accepted 1 week old chick. she’s a good mom.

Back
Top Bottom