"Are you sure you want to post a reply?"

Battlepants

Songster
Dec 13, 2021
Been seeing a decent number of posts getting dug up from many years past to offer advice about a long resolved situation originally posted by a user who hasn't even been on this site in years. I feel like a simple dialog box may help in this situation. In the event that a thread has been inactive for 1+ years, I propose a simple dialog box asking the user if they are sure they want to post this reply and briefly explain the situation that this thread has been inactive for x days/months/years.

To a side note on this, what is the protocol for us at the standard forum user level in regards to these necroposts? I've been reading but ultimately ignoring them - don't want to scare off the new users as they often seem to genuinely want to help, but are just misguided in how they are going about it.

I usually (NOT suggesting my example is the one to follow - it probably isn't), but I usually advise the poster that the original poster commented X years ago, hasn't been active on BYC since [date], and that a reply is likely not forthcoming.

If its a question I can answer, I'll usually offer an opinion - otherwise, I'll suggest they start a new thread in forum [appropriate] for more timely replies.

/edit and excellent idea, w/ the pop up box, btw.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom