Arizona Chickens

I think the hens that I'm fostering for Bonnie have taken a liking to my house. They're nice and comfortable, plus at least two of them started laying in the nesting box today, rather than making a nest underneath the oleanders. Her last person that was going take the girls fell through, so I'll have them longer. I'm starting the fermented food this weekend and ordered a bag of the Big Sky for June. It's so nice being able to toss all the food scraps out to them again and get fresh eggs. Woohoo.

Happy Memorial Day everyone and thank you all who have served.

My grils are doing good. They don't lay as much as last year. Last summer, I was getting 7-8 eggs per day (8 hens). This year I have gotten between 1-7 per day with mostly 4-5 every day.
I brewed a batch of peach farmhouse style ale yesterday. As usual, I gave the girls the spent grain. It's gone already, all 15#.

A7B98DC5-9A61-456A-A072-7274C1EC7331_zpsu7dija6r.jpg

Quote:
One of the best ways to locate reputable breeders of show quality birds is to join your local poultry club. These are the people who are breeding to the Standard of Perfection. If the club members don't have what you are looking for they can point you in the right direction. The best breeders are often not online.

The Tucson Poultry, Pigeon and Fancy Fowl Club usually meets on the fourth Sunday of the month. Membership is inexpensive - $10/year per single membership, $15/year per family, or $5/year for a Junior membership. There may be a Facebook page but the club has no significant online presence. PM me for info if you want to check out the next meeting. It will probably be June 22.
https://www.facebook.com/TucsonPoultry

Happy Memorial Day! A big thank you to my fellow Veterans for all you have sacrificed.

Thanks to everyone for the tips for my broody. I will keep you updated on her progress with the chicks.

I'm still unsure about moving her. The other day I brought her inside to check her out and ensure it wasn't anything else. When I put her back out my 3 month old pullets were out in the run so it was closed off. She went crazy trying to get back in, even cutting her comb while trying to force her way through the chicken wire. I do have a separate area I can keep her(a dog run converted to an introduction pen) its covered and has a huge dog house in it she can use for her nest. I may put her in there for the next few days while waiting on the eggs to see if she takes well to it. Then again I know it'll be easier to introduce the chicks to the flock if I just leave her where she is. Decisions decisions.

I'm starting my first flock of meaties along with a friend in early June. We have ordered 100(I know huge number to start we must be crazy). Question would it be easier to use tractors so we can move them daily or would a stationary area be OK if we clean it regularly? We are going to use fermented feed so I know that will cut down on the smell.

Sorta chicken related, a while back some of you were talking about wine coolers to convert into incubators. I have one that I was going to sell on craigslist but I really hate sorting through all the riffraff that goes with it. I'm asking $20 just because that's what I can scrap it for. It's 24" x 24" x 34" tall, has its own key,inside light, etc. It still is in working order so one would have to "safely remove the freon" if you were going to remove the compressor. I can deliver anywhere in the valley for an extra $10,000.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom