Arizona Chickens

Yesterday one of the guys at my DH's place of employment was using the bathroom when he saw what he thought was a paper towel on the floor move. It was a juvenile grey fox that somehow made it's way into the building and then the bathroom. Maybe it was looking for water? It had been in the building for about a day since they found it's scat in another part of the building earlier. One of the guys caught it and let it go at a nearby park.

This was near 40th street and Southern so you know these grey foxes are in neighborhoods and industrial parks. I've seen one crossing Broadway off of Priest by the Double Tree Inn. This little guy must have gotten lost from his parents or maybe they ran him off thinking he was old enough to fend for himself. The property behind where he was found is a small farm with livestock and lots of poultry plus there are a lot of feral cats in the area so there is plenty for foxes to eat.
poor little thing. I hope he is old enough to fend for himself. He is a beautiful little guy

I hope one of you peeps can help. This morning my 2 year old Leghorn hen looked as if she was trying to poop. She stood in the same place for and her back side was pulsating. We noticed this around 5am this morning when we feed them scratch. She did not eat. I check on her 2 hours later and she was in the same spot doing the same thing. I’m at work now and I am worried that she might not move. Its 11:30 now and she had to lose her shade if she is standing in the same place. Thx for the help.
Mike

I hope one of you peeps can help. This morning my 2 year old Leghorn hen looked as if she was trying to poop. She stood in the same place for and her back side was pulsating. We noticed this around 5am this morning when we feed them scratch. She did not eat. I check on her 2 hours later and she was in the same spot doing the same thing. I’m at work now and I am worried that she might not move. Its 11:30 now and she had to lose her shade if she is standing in the same place. Thx for the help.
Mike

Can you move her into the shade & try to get fluids in her? Egg bound never turns out good..
If that is the issue.. Can you feel for her egg?

Mike
sounds egg bound. need to check her ASAP and get her out of the sun. You need to check her for an egg right away. I hope she is ok.

Oh yeh that's right. Just look like them. Javelina are rodents right?

Um...from what I remember, they are not rodents. They are clesely related to rhinos and hippos. Which makes no sense to me at all. Since they are from South America, you would think they would be related to capybarras and guinea pigs, huh? Since guinea pigs aren't pigs either. Lol

Foxes aren't a type of k-9 : ). Closely related to cats. Go figure. Like javelina are not pigs and tomatoes aren't vegetables. Makes me crazy.

According to Wikipedia they are a type of canid so "related to domestic dogs, wolves, foxes, jackals, coyotes, and many other lesser known extant and extinct dog-like mammals."

"The gray fox is mainly distinguished from most other canids by its grizzled upper parts, strong neck and black-tipped tail, while the skull can be easily distinguished from all other North American canids by its widely separated temporal ridges that form a U-shape. There is little sexual dimorphism, save for the females being slightly smaller than males. The gray fox ranges from 76 to 112.5 cm (29.9 to 44.3 in) in total length. The tail measures 27.5 to 44.3 cm (10.8 to 17.4 in) of that length and its hind feet measure 100 to 150 mm (3.9 to 5.9 in). The gray fox typically weighs 3.6 to 7 kg (7.9 to 15.4 lb), though exceptionally can weigh as much as 9 kg (20 lb).[12][13][14] It is readily differentiated from the red fox by the lack of "black stockings" that stand out on the latter and the stripe of black hair that runs along the middle of the tail. In contrast to all Vulpes and related (Arctic and fennec) foxes, the gray fox has oval (instead of slit-like) pupils.[15]
The gray fox's ability to climb trees is shared only with the Asian raccoon dog among canids. Its strong, hooked claws allow it to scramble up trees to escape many predators such as the domestic dog or the coyote,[16] or to reach tree-bound or arboreal food sources. It can climb branchless, vertical trunks to heights of 18 meters and jump from branch to branch.[17] It descends primarily by jumping from branch to branch, or by descending slowly backwards as a domestic cat would do. The gray fox is nocturnal or crepuscular and dens in hollow trees, stumps or appropriated burrows during the day. Such gray fox tree dens may be located 30 ft above the ground.[15] Prior to European colonization of North America, the red fox was found primarily in boreal forest and the gray fox in deciduous forest, but now the red fox is dominant in most of the eastern United States since they are the more adaptable species to development and urbanization.[18] In areas where both red and gray foxes exist, the gray fox is dominant.[19]"
My son is a big fox fan, loves everything about them. (Except I wonder how he would like it if one ate his favorite chicken?
ep.gif
) He was very happy they let the little fox go instead of killing it like one of the guys wanted to.

Oh yeh that's right. Just look like them. Javelina are rodents right?

Javelina are peccary, which is a type of ruminant. I'm guessing that's what you meant to type, not rodents.

And foxes are, in fact, from the biological family "canidea," which covers all of the dog-like animals including coyotes, jackals and wolves. This is where the word "canine" comes from. So yes, Dave, you were correct initially.

Back
Top Bottom