Arizona Chickens

CORNISH CROSS!
i didn't buy it but it was funny. Like $7.95 too.
1f633.png

1f633.png
I can chicken at home. I used to buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts ('cuz they're good for you!). Problem was, I'm not much of a cook, and never found a way of cooking them that didn't turn out dry and tasteless. But every time I went shopping, I bought more chicken breasts ('cuz they're good for you!). It got to the point that my freezer was full of chicken breasts, because I kept buying them, and never eating them. No more room in the freezer.
So.... I took about 15 pounds of chicken breasts, steamed them until about half done, then cut up into about half inch chunks, filled the jars, then topped with chicken broth with a pinch of rosemary in each jar. Pressure canned 'til done. Now, take a jar of those chicken chunks, chop up with a little mayonnaise and chopped onion, and make chicken salad sandwiches.
I have room in my freezer again, but now my cupboards are full of boxes of mason jars!

The most pathetic thing in the world..my 10 german shepherds lined up at the fence watching my chickens. I said "NO! MY SQUEEKY TOYS!". One by one, ears went flat, tails drooped as they walked away and to their dog houses.
None of these dogs weighs under a buck and you shouldve seen them. They looked like scolded puppies. "But I was just watching them.."
And salivating.

1f633.png

I can chicken at home. I used to buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts ('cuz they're good for you!). Problem was, I'm not much of a cook, and never found a way of cooking them that didn't turn out dry and tasteless. But every time I went shopping, I bought more chicken breasts ('cuz they're good for you!). It got to the point that my freezer was full of chicken breasts, because I kept buying them, and never eating them. No more room in the freezer.
So.... I took about 15 pounds of chicken breasts, steamed them until about half done, then cut up into about half inch chunks, filled the jars, then topped with chicken broth with a pinch of rosemary in each jar. Pressure canned 'til done. Now, take a jar of those chicken chunks, chop up with a little mayonnaise and chopped onion, and make chicken salad sandwiches.
I have room in my freezer again, but now my cupboards are full of boxes of mason jars!

Sounds like a reason to have a party... Let's break open those jars... :weee
Our favorite is the thigh meat.. Seasoned & on the grill.. However for our next blck party we
really want to get a smoker.. Been looking & putting the word out or a cheap used one..

The most pathetic thing in the world..my 10 german shepherds lined up at the fence watching my chickens. I said "NO! MY SQUEEKY TOYS!". One by one, ears went flat, tails drooped as they walked away and to their dog houses.
None of these dogs weighs under a buck and you shouldve seen them. They looked like scolded puppies. "But I was just watching them.."
And salivating.

We love our German Shepard. :love. She is a barker when the sun goes down... Well, & wants to get a chicken/duck.. We just had her shaved about 2 weeks ago, she is embarrassing to be seen with, however we think she is happy to have all her long fur off for just a bit..

Sounds like a reason to have a party... Let's break open those jars... :weee
Our favorite is the thigh meat.. Seasoned & on the grill.. However for our next blck party we
really want to get a smoker.. Been looking & putting the word out or a cheap used one..

I was in TSC the other day buying some Flock Raiser, and they had a nice vertical smoker (about 6 1/2 feet tall). I think it was $269. But, just yesterday, I went to Lowe's and bought a Char Griller barrel type barbeque, with a side firebox. These can be used for smoking if you keep an eye on the temp. So, next stop, Safeway for some T bones, corn on the cob for roasting, and a couple pounds of X-large jalapenos for stuffing. Gotta break out the chainsaw this AM, and cut me up a bunch of mesquite!

As an avid canner, I can completely understand what you went through with that process. I've done all sorts of things the last few years and it's somewhat addictive. Fruits, vegetables, meats, deserts, jams and jellies... There's really no limit. One of the things that I found I absolutely love, after seeing it mentioned on my Canning FaceBook group, was Cowboy Candy. It's jalapenos cooked in a simple syrup, basically, and it's absolutely delicious! I was never much of a jalapeno on the hamburger type, until I tasted these. They have to age at least three months to be at their best flavor, so you have to wait around just like wine.

When you can meats, you don't have to pre-cook them at all. You can just tightly pack them in the jar raw, leaving an inch of headspace and then pressure can. It'll come out the exact same way as yours did. I tend to add about a half-cup of broth and then pack with the chicken, to keep it slightly more moist, but that's optional, just like adding spices. The one spice you never add to canning is sage. The high heat and high pressure will cause it to bring out a bitter taste in the foods, which gets stronger as the food ages in the jars.

Oh, and there's never enough room in the house for storing all those filled jars...

Right up there with canning, I've thoroughly enjoyed wine making. I have a batch of strawberry kiwi that smells absolutely delicious! Today, I'm racking it to a six-gallon Carboy (giant glass carafe, basically) so that it can start aging for the next three months. Then, I'm picking up a bunch of brown carob pods from Petra tomorrow morning and I'm starting a batch of carob wine. I'm so excited about that one, too. That's my favorite part, being able to come up with wines that you don't find in the stores. Like the prickly pear wine aging in my cellar. I don't drink but a few times a year, so it's more about the process and creation. I'll probably give most of these away as gifts. Federal law allows you to make up to 200 gallons a year, but that's a lot of wine!

I was in TSC the other day buying some Flock Raiser, and they had a nice vertical smoker (about 6 1/2 feet tall). I think it was $269. But, just yesterday, I went to Lowe's and bought a Char Griller barrel type barbeque, with a side firebox. These can be used for smoking if you keep an eye on the temp. So, next stop, Safeway for some T bones, corn on the cob for roasting, and a couple pounds of X-large jalapenos for stuffing. Gotta break out the chainsaw this AM, and cut me up a bunch of mesquite!

Sounds delicious! I've always wanted to get a great high-quality dehydrator and smoker, but haven't had the funds yet.

As an avid canner, I can completely understand what you went through with that process.  I've done all sorts of things the last few years and it's somewhat addictive.  Fruits, vegetables, meats, deserts, jams and jellies...  There's really no limit.  One of the things that I found I absolutely love, after seeing it mentioned on my Canning FaceBook group, was Cowboy Candy.  It's jalapenos cooked in a simple syrup, basically, and it's absolutely delicious!  I was never much of a jalapeno on the hamburger type, until I tasted these.  They have to age at least three months to be at their best flavor, so you have to wait around just like wine.

When you can meats, you don't have to pre-cook them at all.  You can just tightly pack them in the jar raw, leaving an inch of headspace and then pressure can.  It'll come out the exact same way as yours did.  I tend to add about a half-cup of broth and then pack with the chicken, to keep it slightly more moist, but that's optional, just like adding spices.  The one spice you never add to canning is sage.  The high heat and high pressure will cause it to bring out a bitter taste in the foods, which gets stronger as the food ages in the jars.

Oh, and there's never enough room in the house for storing all those filled jars...

Right up there with canning, I've thoroughly enjoyed wine making.  I have a batch of strawberry kiwi that smells absolutely delicious!  Today, I'm racking it to a six-gallon Carboy (giant glass carafe, basically) so that it can start aging for the next three months.  Then, I'm picking up a bunch of brown carob pods from Petra tomorrow morning and I'm starting a batch of carob wine.  I'm so excited about that one, too.  That's my favorite part, being able to come up with wines that you don't find in the stores.  Like the prickly pear wine aging in my cellar.  I don't drink but a few times a year, so it's more about the process and creation.  I'll probably give most of these away as gifts.  Federal law allows you to make up to 200 gallons a year, but that's a lot of wine!

Sounds delicious!  I've always wanted to get a great high-quality dehydrator and smoker, but haven't had the funds yet.

Yeah, the only reason I partially precook the chicken is to make it easier to cut up. You should taste my stuffed jalapeños! I split them and remove the seeds, then stuff them with string cheese and chorizo sausage. Wrap with bacon and smoke 'til the bacon is done. NEVER any leftovers!

As an avid canner, I can completely understand what you went through with that process. I've done all sorts of things the last few years and it's somewhat addictive. Fruits, vegetables, meats, deserts, jams and jellies... There's really no limit.
Ha, Ha, addictive is right! When my dad was going downhill and having hospice come to the house to help my mom years ago, I went back to PA to help her as she was getting really stressed. I was her "slave" for a week. I cleaned house and helped clean out my dad's "stuff". He had jars and jars of canned stuff in the garage. Some of it was many years old. My mother had no interest in eating most of it, so out to the compost it went. My dad loved to cook and can and always had a nice vegetable garden. It must be in the blood, because I do the same thing. I have canned peaches and salsa in the basement 6, 7 years old. There was a 3-year period when I was canning a lot. Then my poultry farm started growing and I didn't have the time. The important thing is to process only those foods you really like, otherwise they will not get eaten.

Back
Top Bottom