Arizona Chickens

The girls are all settled for the night. They immediately ate and drank after being released in to the run, and are scratching away at the dirt. I think they'll be a happy bunch here soon.

Tomorrow, I'll make the food shoot and plumb the water nipples in from the water bib closest to their run. Then I need to make a couple of nesting boxes, add a swing and probably some toys.

Night all.

Attachments

• 20190526_195121.jpg
    20190526_195121.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 4
I am so happy to report that Stunts is slowly doing better. She ate a lot more today and was up and moving around. I’m hoping she continues to do better and we can put this sickness (whatever it is) behind us!
My chickens are looking ragged because a few of them are feather picking. Some have bald backs. They did this last season too. The RIR starts it, and then they start doing it to each other and before I know it, I’ve got a bunch of bare backed hens that just look ridiculous! I don’t really want to mess with those hen aprons that cover their backs, as I feel it would be too hot for that in the summer. I used to use blue kote but that doesn’t deter them anymore. I suppose I’m just whining at this point :hmm They spent the entire fall growing out these gorgeous, plush feathers after their big molt, only to rip them all out!

I am so happy to report that Stunts is slowly doing better. She ate a lot more today and was up and moving around. I’m hoping she continues to do better and we can put this sickness (whatever it is) behind us!
My chickens are looking ragged because a few of them are feather picking. Some have bald backs. They did this last season too. The RIR starts it, and then they start doing it to each other and before I know it, I’ve got a bunch of bare backed hens that just look ridiculous! I don’t really want to mess with those hen aprons that cover their backs, as I feel it would be too hot for that in the summer. I used to use blue kote but that doesn’t deter them anymore. I suppose I’m just whining at this point :hmm They spent the entire fall growing out these gorgeous, plush feathers after their big molt, only to rip them all out!

I read before that when they pick feather's that they need higher protein, or they are too crowded?

TSC's in Arizona used to get their chicks from Privett hatchery in NM.

I know I used to buy a lot of stuff at Higley feed and they use(d) Privett. I have ordered from Privett twice and both time my hens NEVER laid a single egg. When they were 6 months old and still hadn't laid I culled them (made chicken pot pie). Privett called me a liar etc so I avoided them and any chick purchases at a feed store that uses them.

I have bought a dozen chicks from Mesa Feed barn over the years. I always bought pullets. I never got a singe pullet- every chick I ever bought over a 10 year period was a cockerel. Very frustrating. I have had great luck with Meyers, Valley, Cackle and even McMurray ( many years ago) I'll probably never buy a feed store chick again.

As far as Easter Eggers, all mine, regardless the source, had puffy cheeks and no crest.

I am 95% positive that I have all pullets, so that is good, having different colored eggs would be nice but not a must. I've lost one and don't have a clue what happened, just simply no chick.. no feathers, no blood that I could find, nothing.. but the other 8 are doing well, have integrated with the flock just fine, went to check on them this evening, found them on the roosts with everyone else, kinda surprised to find them up near the very top, I expected them to be kicked down to the lower rungs...lol. My broody is still on her nest, I've not seen her down, but 2 of the other hens managed to get eggs into her nest. It's far to early for her to be on lockdown. I believe today is day 3. I got some bird netting up today, still have lots more to go. It will at least help with hawks and stuff for keeping them out of the run.
20190526_200134.jpg
20190524_165925.jpg

I read before that when they pick feather's that they need higher protein, or they are too crowded?
I never encountered feather picking,,, and think low protein may be a leading factor. I feed 18% Alflock.
Even when being feed a sufficient protein feed, some chickens may need more for a variety of reasons.
One of my theories, is a particular chicken produces more eggs than normally would with a standard ration.:idunno She then needs more protein.
One quick way to increase protein ,,,,, is to give the girls some (I did not say to overdo) :old cat food.
(cat food is higher protein %% than dog food)
Easily seen in my Avatar,,, that the girls like to raid the cat dishes when possible:gig.
I don't think @SonoranChick hens are overcrowded. Seen that BEAUTIFUL PALACE her DH built. :thumbsup

I never encountered feather picking,,, and think low protein may be a leading factor. I feed 18% Alflock.
Even when being feed a sufficient protein feed, some chickens may need more for a variety of reasons.
One of my theories, is a particular chicken produces more eggs than normally would with a standard ration.:idunno She then needs more protein.
One quick way to increase protein ,,,,, is to give the girls some (I did not say to overdo) :old cat food.
(cat food is higher protein %% than dog food)
Easily seen in my Avatar,,, that the girls like to raid the cat dishes when possible:gig.
I don't think @SonoranChick hens are overcrowded. Seen that BEAUTIFUL PALACE her DH built. :thumbsup

That's what I thought, as @SonoranChick had not mentioned adding any new member's to her flock.

Thanks for the input! I agree that they aren’t overcrowded, especially now that we’re down to just 9 hens. I suspect you guys are correct with the protein issue. I’ll get some cat food, and if that doesn’t help maybe we can add a bag of feather fixer to their food container.

I know I used to buy a lot of stuff at Higley feed and they use(d) Privett. I have ordered from Privett twice and both time my hens NEVER laid a single egg. When they were 6 months old and still hadn't laid I culled them (made chicken pot pie). Privett called me a liar etc so I avoided them and any chick purchases at a feed store that uses them.

I have bought a dozen chicks from Mesa Feed barn over the years. I always bought pullets. I never got a singe pullet- every chick I ever bought over a 10 year period was a cockerel. Very frustrating. I have had great luck with Meyers, Valley, Cackle and even McMurray ( many years ago) I'll probably never buy a feed store chick again.

As far as Easter Eggers, all mine, regardless the source, had puffy cheeks and no crest.
I've never had a problem with Privett birds not laying eggs, but I raise dual purpose for sustainable meat and every bird I've gotten from Privett, other than the cornish cross, have been thin boney and useless in that regard. So I rehomed them all. I have a few NN crosses that have Privett lines in them because I was able to select the heaviest of what I got and cross it into the heaviest NN I had and get something reasonable.
I've ordered from Cackle twice now and so far love that place. I think it's gonna be my "go to" hatchery from now on.

Back
Top Bottom