Arkansas folks speak up.........

Hey guys and gals! Long time since I've checked back here... I'm curious about a few things so OF COURSE I run here for help. ;)

The 4H pullet chain! We have a handful of birdies going to show this week and we've never entered so I am just super curious as to what exactly is being judged! Obviously the bird, lol, but what are they looking at? They're not fancy schmancy breeds, but Hyline Browns (red sex links, right?) so is a SOP being compared? Do they even have a SOP for these hybrids?! Lots of newbie curiosity. Guess I just want to look at the birds having a better idea of what they're looking for. :) I know we have some 4H pros in here!
There is no SOP for Red Sexlinks. I think they just look at what a good laying hen should look like.

For the Pullet Chain they are looking to see how well the bird has been grown up. Was it fed and watered adequately? How close is it to laying? Is it clean and healthy. We got them a month later than normal this year. They are normally laying well by fair time. The judge will do a check to see the spread on the pelvic bones to see if the birds are close to lay.

You want your 4 birds to be as similar as possible in development. Color and markings are not looked at for the pullet chain, simply layer development.

frow.gif
See you at the fair.

Exactly what I wanted to know, thank you everyone! See you at the fair :)

@MrsBachBach We plan on hatching out some chicks from our pair out of your eggs and entering some next year!

Exactly what I wanted to know, thank you everyone! See you at the fair
smile.png

@MrsBachBach We plan on hatching out some chicks from our pair out of your eggs and entering some next year!
Good to see you at the fair. I hope you do bring some other breeds next year. I just love seeing the variety.

See you at the Pullet Chain Auction on Saturday!

Back
Top Bottom