Arkansas folks speak up.........

I've been to our Scott County fair. My son got blue ribbons on all our chickens but one and it got a second place ribbon. They insisted our black sex link males were barred rock and my production red pullet was a RIR. The 4-H had Cinnamon Queens. Some were nice while some were tiny little runts. Almost all the 4-Her's got blue ribbons. My son is in 4-H but joined to late to get the Cinnamon Queens and got what I had which are BSLs and red production. One RIR rooster that won Grand Champion was a true RIR. He was truly Grand. No wonder our girl didn't win compared to a real RIR. I felt terrible for the chickens they had automatic cup waterers and none of the chickens knew how to use them. One woman told me it's like that every year. A few people brought bowls for their birds.

Glad your birds did well. I don't know anything about black sex link vs. Barred rock. I would have called them barred rock but i am not a judge. I would like to think that I could tell the difference between a red sexlinks and a RIR however. I hate to hear about the water situation. I always water everyone else birds when I check on mine. Some people drop their birds off and never check them until they pick them up. Makeme wwonder how they treat them at home.

Glad your birds did well. I don't know anything about black sex link vs. Barred rock. I would have called them barred rock but i am not a judge. I would like to think that I could tell the difference between a red sexlinks and a RIR however. I hate to hear about the water situation. I always water everyone else birds when I check on mine. Some people drop their birds off and never check them until they pick them up. Makeme wwonder how they treat them at home.
Well if I didn't know the breeder and her stock I might have thought barred rock but males get the barred look from the mother which is barred rock. They were black chicks with white spots on their heads.

We watered every ones chickens too. I can't stand to see them suffer. They were so hot and miserable. Mine are used to free-ranging and was not happy campers. We are bringing them home tonight so they will be happy then. It rained last night so its pretty cool now so that should help them out.

I really like the weather this morning. Glad we got some cool air back. Hope it stays.

Ok, so cockerel/fair report.

6 cockerels from first hatch, 2 in second hatch this spring/summer, all cochin.

Sold 1 bantam (Best Bantam - Open Division), 1 LF - (Best LF - Open Division) after North Franklin County Fair.

Gave away 1 LF to a family who doesn't have a lot and just wanted a boy.

Donated 1 bantam (Reserve Grand - Open Division) to sell at the terminal auction at the South Franklin County Fair - money to go to the local 4H group.

Brought home 1 bantam (Grand Champion - Open Division) so my little girls have someone who fits them.

Keeping 1 LF boy from first hatch as well.

Still waiting on last hatch boys to mature. Currently have 1 LF Cochin and 1 Banty who will probably stay and 2 LF immature boys whom I am unsure of. The Cochins seem to be much less aggressive (mating wise) than other breeds that I have hatched. I have a total of 21 birds and I normally only run 1 boy but I am going to see what the personality of these guys are. Not sure how many I will end up with. These boys have such beautiful colors, I can't wait to see how they fill out.

There was some cute little banties at the Scott County fair. Two roosters kept fluffing up at each other. Their cages were next to each other. So funny to watch. I did see a couple of little Seabrights. It was the first time I'd seen them anywhere besides a picture. There really was much chickens but still fun to see what everyone had. The 4-H's Cinnamon Queens looked pretty good for the most part. One really nice looking RIR. He looked like the old fashioned purebred to me. I'm not sure but may have been a bantam or a young cockerel. His color was amazing though. If I remember right he took 'Grand Champion'. I hated that my pullet was judged next to them. They marked her as being RIR when she is clearly a 'production red'. People here doesn't seem to know there is a difference. Oh well, I am happy with her. Can't wait till she starts laying. She won a blue first place ribbon but almost everyone got those. I only saw a couple of red ribbons and one white. We do have a really small community and I guess they didn't have much competition.

Has anyone had a problem with rats? A few months ago, we noticed a scratching noise coming from the ceiling in our bathroom. We just got around to having a pest control company spray around the front yard and up in the attic, and soon to do the backyard after the following incident. All right, when I got home Thursday I found 3 dead rats in the backyard. Went out later that night while letting the dogs out to potty, and saw the ground moving with rats in a corner of the yard. Came home Friday and found 5 more dead rats. Has anyone ever had a problem with rats?? I pick up the yard every day and thoroughly on Sundays. I clean the droppings out of the coop daily to control the flies. I do leave their feed out in a pan, I have been procrastinating about purchasing a bulk feeder. What are y'alls thoughts about this ordeal?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom