Arkansas folks speak up.........

Fayetteville, Arkansas checking into the thread here. I just moved here a couple months ago, and am so looking forward to getting my first flock. If anyone is in the area I would love to get in touch with fellow chicken lovers. Other than Tractor supply and online hatcheries I have no idea where I should be looking for quality chicks. My husband and I just bought a house that has a chicken coop already on it (at least, it will be a chicken coop after I'm done with it lol) so I'm looking to add some chickies to it, hopefully in the Spring.

Welcome to the area! I'm in West Fork & my Husband bought our babies from the Fayetteville Co-Op. He bought 12 originally, we had 2 ending up being cockerels. They had a good selection, we have 3 BO's, 3 BSL's, 3 BA's & 1 GLW(the other 2 were the cockerels). We got them May of this year & we're total newbies, but they seem to be healthy & up to this point haven't had any issues....maybe beginner's luck. haha We did just discover a snake in the coop that's been treating itself to our eggs, ugh! We only have 1 laying at the moment, 1 of the BSL's, she started 2 weeks ago at just 17 weeks old. Definitely check with MrsBachbach in the Spring also,good luck!

Fayetteville, Arkansas checking into the thread here. I just moved here a couple months ago, and am so looking forward to getting my first flock. If anyone is in the area I would love to get in touch with fellow chicken lovers. Other than Tractor supply and online hatcheries I have no idea where I should be looking for quality chicks. My husband and I just bought a house that has a chicken coop already on it (at least, it will be a chicken coop after I'm done with it lol) so I'm looking to add some chickies to it, hopefully in the Spring.

Welcome!!
Lowell here but I don't have any chicks available.
Greg

All but one of my 20+ hens stopped laying about 2 months ago! I put large shavings in the coops and layer boxes, and kept them locked up for 4 days to remind them where to lay.That was weeks ago. Now that they are free ranging again still only one egg every 4+ days.We have looked all over the yard and can't find any eggs! Is anyone else having this happen? Is it the equinox approaching/happening, the seasons,other? If other what?

Welcome! Love to talk chickens. I am outside Fayetteville (west). I have Wheaton Moran's,Ameraucanas,and white silkies/sizzels. I don't have eggs to sell yet but come early spring I can sell you some fertile eggs. Hope you enjoy raising chickens and this area as much as we have.

Nashonii. What are their ages? Could they be in a slow molt? What are you feeding?

I like to keep something different in the nesting boxes than what is on the floor but I wouldn't think that would make them stop laying. Hummmm? Maybe others have ideas.

Hi! I just have one breed here, Ameraucana.
Such a great breed. If you'll have any chicks available in the Spring let me know.

Welcome! Love to talk chickens. I am outside Fayetteville (west). I have Wheaton Moran's,Ameraucanas,and white silkies/sizzels. I don't have eggs to sell yet but come early spring I can sell you some fertile eggs. Hope you enjoy raising chickens and this area as much as we have.
I have always wanted a frizzle! I had never even heard of the sizzels. Spring definitely won't be able to get here fast enough! I'm so grateful for everyone welcoming me into this forum :)

Nashonii. What are their ages? Could they be in a slow molt? What are you feeding?

I like to keep something different in the nesting boxes than what is on the floor but I wouldn't think that would make them stop laying. Hummmm? Maybe others have ideas.
They are free ranged,sometimes they get table scraps, but more often they get layer feed and scratch. Could they ALL be in a slow molt? I'm at a loss.

All but one of my 20+ hens stopped laying about 2 months ago! I put large shavings in the coops and layer boxes, and kept them locked up for 4 days to remind them where to lay.That was weeks ago. Now that they are free ranging again still only one egg every 4+ days.We have looked all over the yard and can't find any eggs! Is anyone else having this happen? Is it the equinox approaching/happening, the seasons,other? If other what?

I have a dozen here and only one is laying every few days. I have some that quit about six weeks ago, some that just quit in the last couple of weeks. So, I'm down to one and yes, they have been molting, just not all at the same time. Some are slow molters, some medium. So, it could be a combination of shorter daylight hours now and molting. We are only getting about 12 hours daylight now I think and my chickens usually need about 14 hours to lay well. It's about that time of year that most do stop and molt and some will stop or slow down if they are too hot (we did have some hot weather), stressed, sick, etc.

Back
Top Bottom