Arkansas folks speak up.........

They are free ranged,sometimes they get table scraps, but more often they get layer feed and scratch. Could they ALL be in a slow molt? I'm at a loss.

Have they been wormed lately, checked for lice? Do you dust the nest boxes? They won't get in the nest boxes if there is something they don't like about them. It could be bedding, too much light, lice/mites hiding in the boxes, being harrassed when trying to lay, etc. I've seen all kinds of weird behavior when it comes to laying and nest boxes. It's like Goldielocks and The Three Bears.

They are free ranged,sometimes they get table scraps, but more often they get layer feed and scratch. Could they ALL be in a slow molt? I'm at a loss.

Scratch. How much scratch? Are your hens fat? I've always heard fat hens don't lay well. A daily diet of scratch will make them fat. If it's just given once in awhile spread on the ground as a treat, that's ok. But, put in the feed, they eat it like candy and get fat. Not much protein in it for making eggs either. I read it takes more energy and creates more heat to digest, so I don't give it to them on hot days, but do give it to them in cold weather before going to roost.

That was going to be my suggestion. Up your protein in the feed. Get a flight developer or feather fixer or even go back to a starter grower formula that has more protein and make sure you have free choice oyster grit available. This helps during molt. Unfortunatly, as the days grow shorter theyare going to slow down anyway. Some people add extra light to "extend" their day and we have done that before. Personally, because ours are pets, mostly, I allow them to have their laying break in the winter. It gives them a chance to use their energy to stay warm and to rebuild all the damage that daily laying does to their bodies.

Mine have not really slowed down. Currently getting about the same as we have had all summer. I have some that are not laying but they are older girls and young girls and a couple that are molting but we get plenty of eggs for us.

I have several young girls who have not begun to lay yet so it will be interesting to see if they begin in the fall, then take a break or if they just hold off until spring.

That was going to be my suggestion. Up your protein in the feed. Get a flight developer or feather fixer or even go back to a starter grower formula that has more protein and make sure you have free choice oyster grit available. This helps during molt. Unfortunatly, as the days grow shorter theyare going to slow down anyway. Some people add extra light to "extend" their day and we have done that before. Personally, because ours are pets, mostly, I allow them to have their laying break in the winter. It gives them a chance to use their energy to stay warm and to rebuild all the damage that daily laying does to their bodies.

Mine have not really slowed down. Currently getting about the same as we have had all summer. I have some that are not laying but they are older girls and young girls and a couple that are molting but we get plenty of eggs for us.

I have several young girls who have not begun to lay yet so it will be interesting to see if they begin in the fall, then take a break or if they just hold off until spring.
In my experience pullets that start up in the fall or winter continue laying up until their first full grown molt. I have a group here that I expect will start up in Nov or Dec and will provide me eggs through the winter when my older ones normally will not lay. Wish I had hatched then a little earlier this year.

I have a dozen here and only one is laying every few days.  I have some that quit about six weeks ago, some that just quit in the last couple of weeks.  So, I'm down to one and yes, they have been molting, just not all at the same time.  Some are slow molters, some medium.  So, it could be a combination of shorter daylight hours now and molting.  We are only getting about 12 hours daylight now I think and my chickens usually need about 14 hours to lay well.  It's about that time of year that most do stop and molt and some will stop or slow down if they are too hot (we did have some hot weather), stressed, sick, etc.   
sorry I didn't mean to just quote Mrs.Bachbach. I think this thought is more accurate with my hens. I don't see the molting,but my hens arent fat,a although they can freely eat the scratch with layer pellets. They mainly free range. I'll recheck the their boxes for varments. Earlier I heard some girls squawking like they were ready to lay. Looked and still nothing. I checked the entire yard.Just how long can they hold out and not lay?

Last edited:
Arkansas here too! I'm in the Fort Smith area and got our first chickens this past spring. We bought some and then hatched some eggs too. We currently have 15 chickens and one of my hens is sitting on three eggs. So exciting!

Arkansas here too! I'm in the Fort Smith area and got our first chickens this past spring. We bought some and then hatched some eggs too. We currently have 15 chickens and one of my hens is sitting on three eggs. So exciting!
Welcome to BYC and the Arkansas Thread.
frow.gif

We are practically neighbors, I'm in Ozark.

Welcome to your home thread! From Mabelvale, AR.

Back
Top Bottom