Pics

NettyM

Songster
6 Years
Aug 24, 2017
we have 2 Indian runner duck eggs in a Brinsea advance mini incubator . Originally 4 but 2 weren't fertile . On day 30 we heard tap tap tapping but after 24 hours could see no pip so after much deliberation decided to quickly look and see if chick has pipped underneath and sure enough it had and from the pointy end of the egg . The egg had a black mark and a stain around the pip area . We turned the egg so the pip was on top . Nothing happened for 24 hours and we thought there was no life inside but then at 2am this morning ( 24 hours or so later) the pip was slightly bigger and the chick was very vocal , but the egg looks a tan colour around the pip inside and it's now 7 hours later and there's nothing happened since . The chick is still vocal but there are no signs of any other marks on the egg . This is our first time with our own incubator and we have tried so hard after much reading and research to do everything right . Should we leave things alone for another few hours bearing in mind the other egg in the incubator has also pipped but in the fat end of the egg at the top . We are ( my daughter and I ) sick with worry that because the pip was at the wrong end of the egg and was underneath that the chick will be struggling inside !

Hi and welcome to BYC. I would have suggested posting on the duck forum, but since the above members have been tagged, I'm sure that they will be along soon. There is one expert that I am pretty sure is still burning the midnight oil @Ravynscroft
what is the name of the assisted hatch thred that Ravyn likes?

Hatching at the wrong end is tricky since the external pip is usually the same (timing wise) as the first internal pip of a rightsideup egg.

That means that the capillaries are NOT all dried up yet. And he is NOT yet ready to hatch.

He might not make it whatever you do.... but I would sit on my hands until the properly positioned egg was close to hatched... use that as a guess as to when to start poking at upside down dude.

:hugs

yep, horrid stressful, sorry

we have 2 Indian runner duck eggs in a Brinsea advance mini incubator . Originally 4 but 2 weren't fertile . On day 30 we heard tap tap tapping but after 24 hours could see no pip so after much deliberation decided to quickly look and see if chick has pipped underneath and sure enough it had and from the pointy end of the egg . The egg had a black mark and a stain around the pip area . We turned the egg so the pip was on top . Nothing happened for 24 hours and we thought there was no life inside but then at 2am this morning ( 24 hours or so later) the pip was slightly bigger and the chick was very vocal , but the egg looks a tan colour around the pip inside and it's now 7 hours later and there's nothing happened since . The chick is still vocal but there are no signs of any other marks on the egg . This is our first time with our own incubator and we have tried so hard after much reading and research to do everything right . Should we leave things alone for another few hours bearing in mind the other egg in the incubator has also pipped but in the fat end of the egg at the top . We are ( my daughter and I ) sick with worry that because the pip was at the wrong end of the egg and was underneath that the chick will be struggling inside !

Since the other egg has pipped and hasn't hatched yet, I would wait... wrong end pippers internal AND external pip all in one shot, but you still have the same amount of wait time as you would from internal pip to external pip and then to zipping and hatch... it just skipped a step, but that steps time still needs to be considered...

Many wrong end pippers will zip and hatch just fine... as long as it is not in distress, I would wait on assisting...

Also, as it was day 30 before any pipping occurred, I am concerned the temp might be a bit low... that will delay the entire process even more... just be patient, monitor, and watch for distress signs (ie, frantic peeping, struggling, weak peeping, etc)... :fl

Ducklings take their sweet time to hatch!

what is the name of the assisted hatch thred that Ravyn likes?

Hatching at the wrong end is tricky since the external pip is usually the same (timing wise) as the first internal pip of a rightsideup egg.

That means that the capillaries are NOT all dried up yet. And he is NOT yet ready to hatch.

He might not make it whatever you do.... but I would sit on my hands until the properly positioned egg was close to hatched... use that as a guess as to when to start poking at upside down dude.

:hugs

yep, horrid stressful, sorry

Back
Top Bottom