At what age are various breeds sexable?

dheltzel

Crowing
10 Years
Nov 30, 2013
Pottstown, PA
I am interested in compiling a list of chicken breeds and the approximate age when they can be sexed (and how to sex them, if unique to the breed).

I can get the list started and if you'd like to contribute your experience, please do.

Breed Approx age Method
(weeks)
Red Sexlinks 0 pullets are red, cockerels are yellow
Black Sexlinks 0 cockerels have white spot on their head that pullet lack
Rhodebars 0 cockerels have white spot on their head, pullets are "wild type" with broad stripe down the back
Legbars 0 cockerels have white spot on their head, pullets are "wild type" with broad stripe down the back
Bielefelders 0 cockerels have white spot on their head, pullets are "wild type" with broad stripe down the back
Welsummers 0 pullets have sharper V on head and more distinct dark line through eye
Barred Hollands 2 cockerels have twice as much white on their feathers (look for lighter colored birds)
Marans 4 cockerels have noticably larger comb

Last edited:
I am interested in compiling a list of chicken breeds and the approximate age when they can be sexed (and how to sex them, if unique to the breed).

I can get the list started and if you'd like to contribute your experience, please do.

Breed Approx age Method
(weeks)
Red Sexlinks a couple days old pullets are red, cockerels are yellow
Black Sexlinks a couple days old cockerels have white spot on their head that pullet lack
Rhodebars 0 cockerels have white spot on their head, pullets are "wild type" with broad stripe down the back
Legbars 0 cockerels have white spot on their head, pullets are "wild type" with broad stripe down the back
Bielefelders 0 cockerels have white spot on their head, pullets are "wild type" with broad stripe down the back
Welsummers 0 pullets have sharper V on head and more distinct dark line through eye
Barred Hollands 2 cockerels have twice as much white on their feathers (look for lighter colored birds)
Marans 4 cockerels have noticably larger comb

Back
Top Bottom