Attaching Hardware Cloth to Eglu Cube Run

dragonfliesdraw

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2022
Hi, we are getting our first flock this weekend and we want to predator-proof our Eglu Cube run. Raccoons, fischer cats, and foxes are the main predators near us. We bought hardware cloth 1/2 in x 4 ft x 25 ft and we have zip ties to attach it to the Eglu run. I am wondering if anyone has any pics of how they attached the hardware cloth? Also, when working with hardware cloth, what else should we be thinking about? Many thanks for your help!

Hi, we are getting our first flock this weekend and we want to predator-proof our Eglu Cube run. Raccoons, fischer cats, and foxes are the main predators near us. We bought hardware cloth 1/2 in x 4 ft x 25 ft and we have zip ties to attach it to the Eglu run. I am wondering if anyone has any pics of how they attached the hardware cloth? Also, when working with hardware cloth, what else should we be thinking about? Many thanks for your help!
I don't have an Eglu, but I recommend hog rings, if you can use them. They don't break down when used outdoors.

The Eglu runs have skirts attached, so I'd just attach it around the outer perimeter right above the skirt.

Hopefully, someone who has this will chime in. I was going to use an Omlet run, but decided not to because it wouldn't work with our existing coop without significant modification and added expense.

Zip ties! Lots and lots of zip ties. It's a 2 person job in a lot of places - someone has to be inside to feed the zip tie back to you on the outside.

You don't *need* to do the skirt since the run kit includes it (hopefully yours does?).

Do you have the walk-in run, or the short one that attaches directly to the Cube?

If it's the short one, wrap the whole thing with HWC (go all the way over the top of it).

If it's the walk-in, just make sure you go high enough. So if you have a perch that is 3' high, run your HWC up a a foot or so higher than that to protect from anything grabbing them while on the perch.

Here's a photo of how mine is attached (walk-in).
Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 4.44.24 PM.png

Zip ties! Lots and lots of zip ties. It's a 2 person job in a lot of places - someone has to be inside to feed the zip tie back to you on the outside.

You don't *need* to do the skirt since the run kit includes it (hopefully yours does?).

Do you have the walk-in run, or the short one that attaches directly to the Cube?

If it's the short one, wrap the whole thing with HWC (go all the way over the top of it).

If it's the walk-in, just make sure you go high enough. So if you have a perch that is 3' high, run your HWC up a a foot or so higher than that to protect from anything grabbing them while on the perch.

Here's a photo of how mine is attached (walk-in).
View attachment 3207543
I have the shorter 9ft run. Thank you for the advice and the image!

Back
Top Bottom