Attacked by Hawk

Peep-Chicken

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
My chicken was attacked by a hawk. Is cut up on the face and neck. I stopped the bleeding, but it looks like blood had built up in a mass under her waddle. What else can I do for her?

I noticed my one hen has a respiratory infection, so I started the whole flock ok antibiotics earlier today. So I have this hen some of that water too, and am going to put antibiotic ointment on her wounds.

Attachments

• IMG_3641.JPG
    IMG_3641.JPG
    546.2 KB · Views: 18
Keep her separated from the flock, keep the wounds very clean, and make sure she's eating and drinking! That's about it from me!

She is seperated. I think she's still in shock, but I have food(crumbles, I'm using what I give my quail since it had more proteins) and water in her crate. Thanks.

Neosporin helps heal and keep the wounds clean also but a little witch hazel in the wounds before the Neospor will help disinfectant it, she’s probably going into shock so keep her inside away from the other chickens tonight and give her a chance to recover

I know the feeling of those hawks :( Just make sure she is comfortable and seperate from the flock. Keep wounds VERY clean

Before reintroducing her back in a few days make sure she doesn’t have any blood on her, other birds will peck at it

Chickens can be very resilient. I have had several chickens survive pretty brutal attacks. If she appears to be in a lot of pain, I have had success with giving them pain killers in small amounts mixed into their water... Either part of a ground up asprin or a little bit of liquid Motrin for babies. There is no set amount on how much to give, so air on the side of caution. Also, don't eat the eggs for a while (although you said that she is on antibiotics, so don't eat the eggs anyways). Good luck!

My chicken was attacked by a hawk. Is cut up on the face and neck. I stopped the bleeding, but it looks like blood had built up in a mass under her waddle. What else can I do for her?

I noticed my one hen has a respiratory infection, so I started the whole flock ok antibiotics earlier today. So I have this hen some of that water too, and am going to put antibiotic ointment on her wounds.
Well I only have experience with hawks attacking ducks but definitely make sure he is eating and drinking. Also make sure that he or she isn’t moving around too much

Back
Top Bottom