Attacked chicken

Shellznz

Hatching
Apr 24, 2024
Hi
I have a chicken that was possibly attacked by small dog. We are fully deer fenced and she must of found a gap. When I found her she was stuck by fence and can’t walk. This is the second hen in a week. The only two that escape but come home. She is eating and comb is still looking normal. She can’t stand and has an ammonia smell to her. What would this smell be?
Thank you

The odor could be urates (kidney waste) on her feathers or vent. Have you examined all over and under feathers for wounds or punctures? I would separate her in a dog crate with food and water near the other chickens. Prop her on towels or look at some chicken slings and chairs online. Place food and water right in front of her. Try feeding her some wet mushy chicken feed, egg or whatever she will eat. Fluids are important.

The odor could be urates (kidney waste) on her feathers or vent. Have you examined all over and under feathers for wounds or punctures? I would separate her in a dog crate with food and water near the other chickens. Prop her on towels or look at some chicken slings and chairs online. Place food and water right in front of her. Try feeding her some wet mushy chicken feed, egg or whatever she will eat. Fluids are important.
Thank you yes I have separated her she has a small injury where the feathers have been pulled out and I have treated with saline wash and then iodine spray. I will sew her a sling today to prop her up while she recovers. I had some antibiotics so I have given those and she’s seems to be a bit better today.

Back
Top Bottom