Attacking Rooster! Help!

jadekaelyne

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 1, 2012
My grandparents and I have one rooster with eight hens in a pen. We've had some trouble with the rooster attacking my grandfather when he goes to feed them and change their water. The rooster does not attack my grandmother or me. They are talking about getting rid of the rooster, but I would like to see if there is any other way to help calm the rooster down. I know he is just trying to protect the hens, but my grandfather is eighty years old, on coumadin, and bleeds easily. If it comes down to it I will feed the chickens and change their water. If anyone has any suggestions on way to get the rooster to stop attacking, I would greatly appreciate it if you shared. Also note that the rooster does not do this every single time he goes to feed, only sometimes, but it is still a problem. My grandfather has been hitting the rooster on the head because he has raised chickens before and knows how roosters fight with dominance, it stops him for the night and sometimes for a couple days, but then the rooster will attack again.

Given your grandfathers health issues, I would suggest that either you get rid of the rooster or he should stop interaction with the chickens. There are many ways for attempting to rehabilitate a mean rooster, but your grandfather's health should take priority.

It's come down to it.
This is where to start, if grandpa is agreeable. If he just won't stay out of the pen, cull the rooster. All you need is the roo flying at him, getting him off balance and he falls and either hits his head and bleeds into his brain or breaks his hip. Neither one end well when you're in your eighties.

My grandparents and I have one rooster with eight hens in a pen. We've had some trouble with the rooster attacking my grandfather when he goes to feed them and change their water. The rooster does not attack my grandmother or me. They are talking about getting rid of the rooster, but I would like to see if there is any other way to help calm the rooster down. I know he is just trying to protect the hens, but my grandfather is eighty years old, on coumadin, and bleeds easily. If it comes down to it I will feed the chickens and change their water. If anyone has any suggestions on way to get the rooster to stop attacking, I would greatly appreciate it if you shared. Also note that the rooster does not do this every single time he goes to feed, only sometimes, but it is still a problem. My grandfather has been hitting the rooster on the head because he has raised chickens before and knows how roosters fight with dominance, it stops him for the night and sometimes for a couple days, but then the rooster will attack again.

NEVER keep a violent rooster. Just, ever. He needs to be culled for the betterment of your family. If you give him away you already know he is a man attacker. And that's no good either. You really only have one option. You could play like you could do everything but that seems ignorant if you think about the future. As much as it sucks, that rooster needs to go, forever. And not just 'relocated' or 'rehabilitated'. Chickens can be replaced, family members cannot.

Make some Rooster Soup. I'm sure the meal will raise the spirits of your grand father.

It should be easy to find a new rooster of Craigslist if you must have one. Just keep him in quarantine for at lease 1 month. Maybe find three and pick the nicest one after the months and more soup with the other two.

You can rehabilitate the rooster yourself if you are so inclined.
I saw it on a programme.
You get yourself a long stick, about a metre long.
To the end of this you attach a few nice feathers.
You go in with your grandfather and stand in front of him. Stand for a while and always face the rooster. use the stick not to hit but to stroke the rooster on each side witht he feathers. Talk to him all the while. When he calms down, squat down and let your grandfather stroke him with the feathers. talk quietly all the while.
Do this several days running and it will settle down.

I have no patience for a violent animal. I was a vet tech for a number of years and I know that you care more about your grandfather. It sounds like you need a rooster sized pot. My rooster attacked me once, I gave him a kick, and he hasn't done it again. I do plan on making him dinner if he attacks again. I have 2 little kids, almost 3, and CAN NOT allow him to hurt them! Good luck. I do feel for you. I am sorry you are dealing with this.

I am having the same problem, EVERY morning when I go to feed the chickens he tries to attack me, notice I say try. It really feels like I am an animal abuser because I have to smack him around just to get him to stop. He is a Leghorn rooster and he is HUGE. I have never killed a chicken before, but I would like to make him into soup. I have tried everything with him, he is just fine when he is sitting in my lap, he coos and talks to me and as soon as I set him down, we battle again. I think when they have that mentality there is no turning back. I'm going to keep him around until I get enough eggs to hatch my next flock. As to the boy chicks, I will just give them away. I have no use for a mean rooster.

I had to have a "conversation" with my rooster when he came at me with tallons drawn. I drop kicked him across the coop and he came back to attack again. I drop kicked him again each time he showed me diefiance until when I stepped towards him - he just moved away and submitted. Our "conversation" lasted almost 15 minutes until when I walked towards him he moved away respecfully and said "Yes Mam". I did this with him when he was about 6 months old and it's held. We had a short "conversation" a few months later when my grand baby came into the run with me and the rooster thought she was fair game. It doesn't sound like your grandfather should be messing with this rooster. Why do you need a rooster? Do you hatch eggs? Sounds like your rooster should go to freezer camp.

Back
Top Bottom