August 2022 Hatch-a-long

Oh so exciting!!!!!! When will you set them? You will be about a week before me too!

I am trying to plan my hatch that I am home from work but also not up half the night watching them again. Lol
I set them this morning!

The eggs are paler than expected. Is that because it's so late in the season? I vaguely recall reading that they "fade" like that.

Edit to add pic. 20220721_095233.jpg

It looks like a double yolker! I've heard some people have success hatching 2 babies from a double-yolker but usually one wins out over the other. I will really enjoy hearing about that egg's progress!

What kind of geese do you have?
I actually hadn’t thought about it being a double yolk, but I’ll do an early candle this weekend.

I’m pretty sure I have three female Pilgrims. The other two are possibly a Pilgrim mix. They all look very similar other than their size. I just hatched them in April, hopefully I’ll at least be able to confirm their sex at sexual maturity.

2ADB58FD-E37C-4836-9F60-225DF6116A93.jpeg
F642EBC7-6A7D-45A8-BD2F-6C822EE27D16.jpeg

Last edited:
I actually hadn’t thought about it being a double yolk, but I’ll do an early candle this weekend.

I’m pretty sure I have three female Pilgrims. The other two are possibly a Pilgrim mix. They all look very similar other than their size. I just hatched them in April, hopefully I’ll at least be able to confirm their sex at sexual maturity.

View attachment 3194731View attachment 3194733
Wow they are gorgeous!!!!

The eggs are paler than expected. Is that because it's so late in the season?
I know my girls aren't laying quite as "deep" of a color as usual at this point - like they run low on "spray paint" haha... But it also depends on each bird... I have a CCL that lays a very light blue, sometimes I mistake it for one of the white ceramic eggs when I'm collecting!

I've got 12 duck eggs set to hatch on August 14th! Only on day 4 but I see life in 11 of the 12 already.
I saw your possible mixes, they should turn out pretty cool. My Rouen hatched some that I’m fairly certain we’re fertilized by my Pekin and they’re awesome!

This one is especially cool now that the Rouen feather pattern is coming in. Can’t wait to see what you hatch!! FB0AE41C-71FC-405A-B2A7-0C3DA4642C9D.jpeg

I know my girls aren't laying quite as "deep" of a color as usual at this point - like they run low on "spray paint" haha... But it also depends on each bird... I have a CCL that lays a very light blue, sometimes I mistake it for one of the white ceramic eggs when I'm collecting!
don't say that! I already have such light blue eggs, from Hummer they look white. I got Bourbon, the CCL, so I had some pretty BLUE eggs.... now you are telling me there is a chance they may be really light too??????:eek:

I saw your possible mixes, they should turn out pretty cool. My Rouen hatched some that I’m fairly certain we’re fertilized by my Pekin and they’re awesome!

This one is especially cool now that the Rouen feather pattern is coming in. Can’t wait to see what you hatch!!View attachment 3194921
so pretty!!!!!!!

don't say that! I already have such light blue eggs, from Hummer they look white. I got Bourbon, the CCL, so I had some pretty BLUE eggs.... now you are telling me there is a chance they may be really light too??????:eek:
I wouldn't panic. My CCL is a little "touched" if you know what I mean. I wouldn't recommend or even say the name of the place I got her from. Lol

This one is especially cool now that the Rouen feather pattern is coming in. Can’t wait to see what you hatch!!View attachment 3194921
Wow what a beauty! I love the kinda calico thing that's going on here. Now I'm even more excited!!!

Fluffy’s eggs are due Aug 1, if they even turn out. I think I’ll let them continue and try to candle often to avoid mishaps. We got some chicks today and I’m already too attached to try putting them under her. I can’t handle going out to a dead chick right now… One of my Wyandottes is broody againnnnnn and I’ll make her a safe corner tomorrow before giving her eggs. She’s a much more dedicated setter than the Jersey Giant

Back
Top Bottom