auracona rooster or hen??

Littlefox26

Songster
10 Years
Jan 9, 2014
Amelia VA
I hatched these two out about three months ago. I didnt sex them then and not sure I want to try now. Anyone care to take a guess? One I think is a rooster the other may be a hen.they both have the roosters back shimmer tail feathers.

The first one is a rooster...red wing bows, blotchy pattern, and I think I see some saddle starting to come in before the tail.

Watch the 2nd one as that comb is not big for the size and apparent age of the bird, and while those wings do look to have possible red coming in at the bows, and the pattern is a bit uneven,I have personally seen my EE's and hybrid mixes change colors substantially as they grow into their adult feathers, and a few of the girls had some brown-red at the wing bow spot with uneven color worrying me until it evened out and melted into their full pattern...so imho there is hope that #2 might be a pullet based upon lack of comb development and overall appearance.

And since you are in the US, these are not Araucanas as US Araucanas are tail-less (rumpless) and have ear tufts... can't see the first one well enough, but the second one has some beard/muff, so that would be an Ameraucana mix known as an Easter Egger as it is not one of the standard Ameraucana colors nor does it have SOP in features.

LofMc

The second pic has more head feathers thank the other one (I'm not sure if there is a name for that). Thanks for explaining the difference about them not being auracona.
This is my roster who I got from a friend. And one of the two hens. The other is solid while and they both lay greenish blue eggs.

The second pic has more head feathers thank the other one (I'm not sure if there is a name for that). Thanks for explaining the difference about them not being auracona.
This is my roster who I got from a friend. And one of the two hens. The other is solid while and they both lay greenish blue eggs.

The parents are Easter Eggers...which means you are breeding hybrids to hybrids so your variations will be even greater as you now get into barnyard mixes. You will likely get about 50% brown egg layers and 50% green egg layers from that mating and the feathering gets more complex with growth patterns that don't always follow the rules neatly so it can be hard to sex until the secondary sex feathers come in of saddle and curled tail feathers and of course crowing or laying.

The first one is a rooster, but I personally would watch and wait on the second photo for reasons stated before...hybrids can be a bit tricky if you are just looking at color pattern. Comb development is the best indicator until those secondary feathers are established...and I've had a few pullets with an odd tail feather as they grow.

LofMc

Last edited:
Ooohhh horses are so much easier! Lol this is fun. Its amazing how complicates this is I spent about 10 just standing in the yard looking back and forth between them and the rooster trying to decide what happend. I didnt expect them to look like they do and it totaly blew my mind. I'm new to chickens, especially hatching out my own. And the local co-op is terible about keeping breeds serpret so I have hens I never wanted in the first place. These guys are going to be inturesting to watch continue to grow.

Back
Top Bottom