Aussies

I have chickens & I have an Aussie. I also have a fence that seperates them because I realize that the Aussie is a preditor & the chickens are prey.

Quote:
Yeah. If they just want a companion, then I don't reccommend an aussie. They go INSANE left alone and need a job at all times.

Quote:
Yeah. If they just want a companion, then I don't reccommend an aussie. They go INSANE left alone and need a job at all times.

Simply not true. I hear people say that over and over. I have two well bred Aussies that spend 8 hours at home alone 5 days a week. Not one problem. I also have placed 10 pups from these dogs and the same holds true for the pups. Aussies are simply like any other high energy dog, they need regular exercise.

My Aussie loves the chickens. She protects the hens from the roos, knocking them off when they mount the hens. The chickens think nothing of her, climbing over her if she happens to be in their path rather than going around. The only problems I have is when there are mother hens with chicks - Ruby thinks she should be the "mom" and has been sent packing many a time by an angry Chicken!

You are so lucky - I would jump at a free Aussie!

31698_p1010019.jpg

We have a two year old Aussie and he is great with the chickens and ducks--he does like to herd the ducks, but never chases them. He just randomly decides that it's time for them to go to another corner of the yard and makes them do it. He and my lab mix are home alone all day and he does fine, BUT when he was younger he would chew holes in the wall (
he.gif
) and he does still likes to dig. He's much better when he gets enough exercise and has improved greatly now that he's out of the puppy stage. They're great dogs, but toys (Kongs are the best) and plenty of running around are important.

We have a aussie/border mix who is awesome with our chickens. She seems to think they need herding, but she's very protective of them. She does the same thing Kittymomma mentions... when she decides it's time for them to go to another spot in the yard, she herds them there. Best. Dog. Ever.

Back
Top Bottom