Auto Closed

The eglu looks nice but is grotesquely overpriced, in my opinion. I can't speak to its usefulness for chickens or ducks- I just find it hard to believe that a plastic doghouse for two chickens should cost close to $800.00

-MTchick

I agree, who are they preying on with that thing? I wonder if people actually buy it! That's more than I spent in the first year with 12 chickens including building their coops and all the start up material, food, dishes etc. I only spent 200 on their 8x8 coop, that eglu can maybe hold 2. Personally I don't think it looks to be very functional as a real coop either. The only people I can imagine buying that thing are those living in million dollar homes (not property, as that is easy to have) in the suburbs with tennis court sized yards. Then again, I'm the type who won't pay $1000 for that papered puppy when I can just pick one up from the shelter, already spayed and nutered, and given their first set of shots, not to mention saving it's life.

I agree. They'd be a great buy at $50, and a pretty good buy at $100 or so. But $700?!!! I seriously overbuilt a small 4 x 4 coop for around $200 with decorative trim, fancy black hardware and so forth. And that will hold 4 hens. (If you only want two for some CRAZY reason, you could keep two in it
lol.png
).

I do think the eglu would be perfect if you don't have any building skills at all, if you're in an immense hurry, and if you have an extra $700 that you don't mind wasting on something that should cost you much, much less. Also, it's cute, and I'm sure it would appeal to people whose neighbors were concerned about the look of a chicken coop.

I'd like to see a competing product come out that's priced reasonably.

I looked through some of the pics on their site about the larger version and one had a pic of the inside. There aren't any perches and they stand on wire or some material so their poo goes through the bottom into pull out trays. In any sun, I would think of these cages being not very pleasant inside either. I don't really think they are that good to keep chickens in.

Cynthia's right, I Myself only wanted to keep a couple of chickens.....so i bought a dang-dog house
lol.png
! Its great! its one of those double dog houses for two very large dogs and i modified it for chickens. It measures Approx 4x6, and i plan on housing about 4 to 5 Hens with a very large run. I cant wait for my girls and all thoes eggs!
smile.png

Last edited:
Hmm, Yes I thought the prices were a bit high.
But from looking at forums, they're good places to keep chickens/ducks if you live in the city?
But I guess, i want my chickens to live in comfort and happiness,
tongue.png

I saw, some of the eglu's on ebay, for much much less money.
Some only costing 50, (in UK pounds).

Even though of this, is it a definte reason that i should turn away from getting an eglu?

Thanks For all help so far!

JMO but the eglu looks like a covered fancy kitty litter pan. I know Petsmart sells a litter shaped pan just like an igloo for around $27 add some wire and PRESTO! I guess it depends on what your intentions are. Most of the pics on the omlet website show the animals outside of the pen. I don't think they have enough space for more than 1 animal to adequately roam around and chickens and ducks like buddies. If your intentnion is allow the animals to roam in a Privacy walled back yard and keep them in the pen at night, then fine. If the animals are to spend most of the time in it I wouldn't consider it. I don't think a duck would be very happy in such an enclosure though. I have had 2 pekin ducks and space and a kiddie pool is a must if you don't have a pond. Be prepared to empty out the kiddie pool a few times a week as they love to poo in the water and it gets "fowl" --pun intended.

Last edited:
We looked at the Eglu when we were first looking at chickens... thinking it might make a great infirmary. But didn't get it because it is sooo expensive.

I mentioned it to a friend of ours and she got one at a garden show on sale for $300. She lives in the city in a rented townhouse. She has a private patio and a shared back yard. The yard is shared by 2 townhouses, so for her 2 girls, the Eglu is perfect. Due to her job, she will be moving in about 10 months and is hoping she'll be able to use the same setup in her new city.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom