Automatic Doors. How SAFE?

Cee

Songster
6 Years
Nov 3, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
I've been reading about automatic doors over in the other forum
"Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance".
but nothing about predators. One of my big concerns. Anybody know how pry open proof these doors are for raccoons? I also see lots of posts from people who seem to be like me, kinda new and that makes me cautious....
I will be working evenings and won't be around to shut the coop door.

One of my big concerns. Anybody know how pry open proof these doors are for raccoons?

If the door slides in a track on each side, and if it then fits into a groove at the bottom, then a raccoon might not be able to reach any edges to pry. Well, I suppose the top edge would be accessible, but that won't help a raccoon lift the door up.

Or the door could slide up & down on the inside of the coop, and have the opening on the outside a bit smaller than the door. Again, that would keep the door edges out of reach.

I have no personal experience with this, just thinking of pictures I've seen and discussions I've read (but I can't remember where I've seen them. Sorry!)

If the door slides in a track on each side, and if it then fits into a groove at the bottom, then a raccoon might not be able to reach any edges to pry. Well, I suppose the top edge would be accessible, but that won't help a raccoon lift the door up.

Or the door could slide up & down on the inside of the coop, and have the opening on the outside a bit smaller than the door. Again, that would keep the door edges out of reach.

I have no personal experience with this, just thinking of pictures I've seen and discussions I've read (but I can't remember where I've seen them. Sorry!)
Thank you for your kind input!

Oh cool! Will you post a pic of your set up? Not sure how this works. Did you make your own door or incorporate it to a purchased door?
I confess I am not a very "handy" person and am a bit confused.

I'm not a handy person that could build my own...I have an Ador. It does have tea channel that the door edges are in. I don't think a racoon could get it open.

I love the door. My girls are inside the coop well before the door shuts for the evening. No one has been left out overnight.

Oh cool! Will you post a pic of your set up? Not sure how this works. Did you make your own door or incorporate it to a purchased door?
I confess I am not a very "handy" person and am a bit confused.

Attachments

• 0C82B080-E845-4BFB-9F73-1A6DA0EE882F.jpeg
    0C82B080-E845-4BFB-9F73-1A6DA0EE882F.jpeg
    456.6 KB · Views: 10
So far the door hasn’t had any problems. I may rebuild it with some side rollers to prevent the door from sticking but so far so good.

I'm not a handy person that could build my own...I have an Ador. It does have tea channel that the door edges are in. I don't think a racoon could get it open.

I love the door. My girls are inside the coop well before the door shuts for the evening. No one has been left out overnight.

Back
Top Bottom