Aviary netting: 1 inch or 2 inch weave?

I went with galvanized chicken wire for overhead protection on my run, that's underneath trees. Didn't want to redo it in the future when a non-metal material would deteriorate from CA sun exposure. The chicken wire will last decades. Leaf accumulation is easily dealt with a leaf blower
We are building a roofed run in the spring. This is a stopgap measure til then. Since our yard is just electric netted, I have no good way of using something like chicken wire overhead. At least I can’t think of how we’d do that 🤔

I use the 2" knotted netting mine has been up for 8 years now still like new and love it. I put it over a shed, small trees and shrubs. Snow can be a problem but as @raingarden stated the weight from the snow doesn't harm the netting it gets so heavy it can break the 4x4 fence posts on fencing its attached to. I have my center support poles removable from the ground so they can be put on an angle when sticky wet heavy snows is predicted. This lets netting sag to the ground if gets to heavy taking weight/pressure off of 4x4 posts and fencing. I have it over 50'x100' pen and 50'x50' and many smaller breeding pens. A few pics for some ideas not the best pics showing netting, but you can get the idea.
IMG_0044.jpg
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0578.JPG

Last edited:
I use the 2" knotted netting mine has been up for 8 years now still like new and love it. I put it over a shed, small trees and shrubs. Snow can be a problem but as @raingarden stated the weight from the snow doesn't harm the netting it gets so heavy it can break the 4x4 fence posts on fencing its attached to. I have my center support poles removable from the ground so they can be put on an angle when sticky wet heavy snows is predicted. This lets netting sag to the ground if gets to heavy taking weight/pressure off of 4x4 posts and fencing. I have it over 50'x100' pen and 50'x50' and many smaller breeding pens. A few pics for some ideas not the best pics showing netting, but you can get the idea.View attachment 3432167View attachment 3432168View attachment 3432169View attachment 3432170View attachment 3432171
Wow! Just wow, I'm totally impressed. What are your tall posts in the middle? They look super tall, are they 4x4s? I'm thinking of putting this over my garden, coop and run. Did you buy one super large net or tie them together?

Wow! Just wow, I'm totally impressed. What are your tall posts in the middle? They look super tall, are they 4x4s? I'm thinking of putting this over my garden, coop and run. Did you buy one super large net or tie them together?
Tall center posts are 15’ I have many different pen sizes. I purchase net size depending on area being covered. My largest covered pen is 50’ x 100’ and is one full net.

Back
Top Bottom