Ayam Cemani Hybrids--Sexlinked?

ANightPerson

Songster
7 Years
Oct 22, 2016
Massachusetts
Currently, I have an AC roo in with my pet chickens (just a tiny flock of off-colors, hybrids, and my misc. girls). I've seen several threads where people get sex-linked chicks out of an AC Roo x other cross, so is that a possibility here? I'm not unfamiliar with breeding sex-linked genes in birds, though chickens have always confused me. He's in with eight hens, one is Wheaten, one is Buff, two are Blue w/ red leakage, one is Blue, one is a Black Silkie, one is a BC Maran, and the other is a spectacularly-postured (though very poorly barred) Barred Plymouth Rock. It's a little unorthodox, but I do love my mixed-breeds. Im trying to let them blend together over a few generations to see what I can get. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

I've seen several threads where people get sex-linked chicks out of an AC Roo x other cross, so is that a possibility here?....

I think you'd need a barred hen to make a typical black sex link cross ....unbarred male x barred female = the hen passes her a barring gene only to the male offspring, so all male (barred) chicks will have a head spot and all female chicks will be black with no head spot. So you end up with barred makes and black females when they grow up.

There are other sex linked crosses, but I don't think your AC roo would work for those unless I'm forgetting something.

Edit:
I guess the question to ask on the AC x barred hen cross would be if the fibromelanism of the AC would somehow interfere with the headspot of the male chicks... from memory I think it does typically cover up the white belly down on chicks, but not sure if that would even be true for a barred cross, maybe others will know?

Last edited:
Haven't worked with ACs myself but I heard that kinda cross will produce fibro sex links where female chicks will hatch with black skin and male chicks will not.
Maybe someone will come along with more info or you can do some searching into fibro sex linkage.

I have some mixes. The hens typically have darker skin than the mixed males. It isn't reliable though. I have a mixed hen with pale skin. I would be interested to see what someone with more knowledge about genetics has to say. I currently have three mixed chicks and one of them is a light Brahma AC cross that is very black, but looks like a cockrel. Oye! I hope its a hen. I can't keep any mixed roosters, because I have some purebred hens, and I don't want surprises. The mixed hens can go in my pen for eating eggs!

Someone somewhere said: "positive note, you can breed an Ayam Cemani rooster to some cream legbar hens and make a sexlink that lays blue eggs, the hens will be all black, with a tophat and the boys will be barred. "
I have a Svart Hona roo and a Cream Legbar Hen, but he is young still and she is getting up there... I don't know if he will be ready before she retires...

Back
Top Bottom