ayam cemani rooster sick! Please help!

Here's a link to some good Merek's disease information.
Unfortunately, It's a very difficult disease to treat once a bird catches it. Here's some highlights from the article and tips:
- "The virus is primarily spread by infected dander (dead skin cells) from other birds. However, it can be transported in dirty hen carriers, on clothing and boots, wild birds, and by darkling beetles in the henhouse." -possibly some reason how the birds got infected, of course not for certain
- As a lesson: Quarantine your birds before you let them in with the others
- "Unfortunately there is currently no treatment/cure for Marek’s disease. Depending on the severity of the disease, some birds can be conservatively managed and do not require culling. However, they will remain carriers of the disease for the rest of their lives."
- "Infected birds should be incinerated to prevent the disease from spreading."

Plus I've never had a sick chicken so I'm kinda in the dark on this, I'm only on my 2nd year of having chickens. But I agree I'm not sure if the duramycin 72-200 is right or not but I gave them there first dose yesterday oral and there not dead today ( the rooster might be a tad better)

Good luck with the antibiotic. I would follow it up with a probiotic and good poultry supplement like Nutri Drench. Marek's is viral but also suppresses the immune system which then allows for secondary infections to set in. The antibiotics will help with any secondary infection but the virus (if that's what it is) will be there for good. Marek's is a herpes virus and like cold sores in humans, it has dormant phases when the host appears perfectly healthy and then times of stress when they have an outbreak. Unfortunately Marek's is significantly more debilitating than cold sores in humans and often fatal. Supporting the immune and digestive systems of birds suffering an outbreak is important and keeping them as happy and stress free as possible. I find putting them out in the sunshine on grass near other chickens, so that they don't get depressed is beneficial and I do wonder if vitamins from the grass and sunshine.... thinking maybe vit C and D are playing a part in healing them.
It is not usually a death sentence for your whole flock, so try not to panic too much. I've been managing it for 4 years now in my flock and many do survive, but some strains are more virulent than others.

Of course it may not be Marek's but it would be worth getting a necropsy if another one dies to confirm what you are dealing with. Most state agricultural or university facilities offer a subsidised service for poultry which makes it a lot cheaper than a veterinary practice and usually more knowledgeable.

Oh wow so my chickens even if they get better will carry it forever and if I hatch there eggs will they be carriers too? This is terrible!

REMEMBER:
Merek's is what we suspect is the problem so I would do everything as though that is what you know they have.
It is not usually a death sentence for your whole flock, so try not to panic too much. I've been managing it for 4 years now in my flock and many do survive, but some strains are more virulent than others.

Of course it may not be Marek's but it would be worth getting a necropsy if another one dies to confirm what you are dealing with. Most state agricultural or university facilities offer a subsidised service for poultry which makes it a lot cheaper than a veterinary practice and usually more knowledgeable.
Keep this in mind, prayers to you and your flock for recovery, I double on the not to panic.:hugs

Oh wow so my chickens even if they get better will carry it forever and if I hatch there eggs will they be carriers too? This is terrible!

Yes, if it is Marek's you need to assume that they have been infected and will be carriers for life, but the good news is that there is no vertical transmission of the virus, so hatching eggs are free of it and if they are from birds that have been exposed and not suffered symptoms, then they may pass on resistance, so chicks from those eggs may be less likely to get that strain of Marek's. As has been outlined, the virus is spread via dander dust which is inhaled to infect healthy birds. Dander dust can be picked up on clothing shoes and hair and transferred between birds like that so if you sell hatching eggs it might be worth vacuuming them to ensure they are clean of the virus.

Back
Top Bottom