B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Joe, This is a great post and should be read by anyone seriously thinking of taking on one of our wonderful old but often neglected breeds. I will say a couple of things about Dorkings as I have some experience with them and love the breed in all it's various variety and both combs. Craig Russell once said that it can be amazing how even third rate stock would respond OVER THE YEARS to plenty of good breeding and selection as strict as present results would allow. And some folks do get very bogged down in minor details before type and size and type and utility and type (you get the picture) are firmly established. It can be hard to figure out, especially from photos, just what is what in Dorkings and what color variety one what like to work with. There are several forms of "red" Dorking complicated by the cocks being a typical red duckwing but the females might be the stippled, partridge bred sort, the English red spangled or even the beautiful "clay" or wheaton hens. And while they may look basically alike these cocks all have different genetics according to what they have as dams and sisters. A "red" cock from the English spangled sort is not a suitable partner for a stippled or clay colored hen under normal circumstances. Coloured are another bear. So much of what is being bred and honestly thought of as coloured is in reality more of a golden duckwing than anything. Pictures on the internet will show some of the confusion that exists. Again more than one legitimate (historically, I'm not talking APA here) hen color exists as well. Craig Russell wrote an excellent article on the coloured Dorking for one of the APA Yearbooks if anyone can get their hands on it. Good, good reading. None of this is meant to be discouraging in the least. As Joe mentions a venture into a somewhat neglected breed is going to involve a commitment in time and work. Patience serves the breeder well. There is good information out there, most notably from Craig Russell himself. If one takes the time to do some homework and establishes contacts with serious breeders the journey down Dorking Lane can be a very interesting and satisfying one. [email protected]
This is where I got my pair. Mr. Russell is very kind and willing to give you any knowledge he has to help you better your birds.
thumbsup.gif

I have a roo from Craig, but unfortunately he may never naturally breed a hen again... he has been stepped on at least twice now that I know of by one of my horses...the last time damaged (possibly broke) one foot, so while favoring that he stepped on something and got a bad abscess on the other (worse than bumblefoot IMO) which took months to clear out. first foot meanwhile healed up fine. the abscessed foot on the other hand, has nerve damage because of the massive swelling and infection (yes we did 'surgery' numerous times to relieve swelling and pull the abscess core - but may have been deeper than I could actually get to). I've been tempted several times to put him down, but he keeps fighting. and gimp or otherwise, has reestablished his position in the flock. nowhere near the top dog that he was, he is also no longer on the bottom either. he knows he can't compete with the other roos and gives way when they come around, but still flirts with the girls.

thinking his genetics may not be lost if I can figure out how to AI once the girls are laying reliably again. who knows, he may find a way to breed again too. wouldn't put it past him.

I have a roo from Craig, but unfortunately he may never naturally breed a hen again... he has been stepped on at least twice now that I know of by one of my horses...the last time damaged (possibly broke) one foot, so while favoring that he stepped on something and got a bad abscess on the other (worse than bumblefoot IMO) which took months to clear out. first foot meanwhile healed up fine. the abscessed foot on the other hand, has nerve damage because of the massive swelling and infection (yes we did 'surgery' numerous times to relieve swelling and pull the abscess core - but may have been deeper than I could actually get to). I've been tempted several times to put him down, but he keeps fighting. and gimp or otherwise, has reestablished his position in the flock. nowhere near the top dog that he was, he is also no longer on the bottom either. he knows he can't compete with the other roos and gives way when they come around, but still flirts with the girls.

thinking his genetics may not be lost if I can figure out how to AI once the girls are laying reliably again. who knows, he may find a way to breed again too. wouldn't put it past him.
A.I. might be the way to go .......... but reason i'm interrupting into this thread is your cripple rooster ..... i once received a rooster of good genetic breeding and he had been ran over with a lawnmower of all things . Only his legs were damaged , both broken (multiple breaks) an attempt to correct them had been made (but not by a vet) . He could move around a pen pretty good(not walking at all) well i put a hen in with him and raised a lot of perfect chicks out of the two (so he was able to breed) .

(also)You know a hen tends to squat when approached during breeding time .... i would think one could place the rooster on top of her (holding rooster with hands around body by reaching down and putting hands on each side of back and sides) Make sure his tail feathers(especially where tail feathers come out of body/tail) , wings and legs are free while holding him on hen's back .
I think this might work if needed .

I hope you get to raise 100's out of him !!!
Best To You ,
Shannon

Quote: thanks. i'm sure where there's a will there's a way... I had a parakeet once that had one leg removed by a larger parrot when he got out once. well that little pegleg sired countless chicks for me over his 10 year life span... he just learned how to hold onto the ground with the good foot and balance up on top with the peg. so anything's possible.

I'm in Southern CA and might have an extra Silver Grey cockerel in a few months time...still growing out and avoiding hawks.
fl.gif

Just wee chickies right now.
OMG, didn't see this until just now! That would be awesome. I could take him at any age you are willing to part with him--have brooders and grow out pens. Basically set up for all ages, and probably also have a friend for him at any size.

Betsy

I've got a Dorking conundrum. I got some day-olds from Sandhill at the beginning or March. I've got 4 remaining birds (Coloreds and Blacks) and 3 of them are still of indeterminate gender... meaning that they aren't laying, crowing, or mating. The other Dorking started laying at about 6 months old, but they are now 8 1/2 months old. They all have very average size combs that don't scream, "Cockerel!". Is it odd that I still can't tell yet, or are they really that slow to develop? All of the other assorted chicks I got from Sandhill at the same hatch are either laying or gone to the dinner table. The Dorkings are the only mystery birds.

I've got a Dorking conundrum. I got some day-olds from Sandhill at the beginning or March. I've got 4 remaining birds (Coloreds and Blacks) and 3 of them are still of indeterminate gender... meaning that they aren't laying, crowing, or mating. The other Dorking started laying at about 6 months old, but they are now 8 1/2 months old. They all have very average size combs that don't scream, "Cockerel!". Is it odd that I still can't tell yet, or are they really that slow to develop? All of the other assorted chicks I got from Sandhill at the same hatch are either laying or gone to the dinner table. The Dorkings are the only mystery birds.
all the ones I've gotten from Sandhill (red and colored), the hens started laying between 5 and 6 months old, the roos were crowing their butts off by 3 months. same for my own silver greys.

no idea what to tell you otherwise. sorry.

Back
Top Bottom