baby chick constant jumping, hurt leg?

curlystring

In the Brooder
May 2, 2022
Hi! This baby chick is 2 weeks old.
Its been constantly jumping at the sides and corners of the box we have the baby chicks in. However, yesterday, it seemed to be not doing so well because we found it being trampled by the other ones while lying down on its side with its feet out. We fed some sugar water and food (rice, broccoli, cauliflower head pieces is what we have been using) and it perked up a bit, and then it was able to walk again. So we put it back with the other chicks after awhile and it just continued to jump. Today, it has continued to jump until we found it lying around again. What we suspect is that it is injuring its leg... but still continues to jump when it feels even remotely ok. Right now we've isolated it and are handfeeding (sugar water, egg yolk) it.
Anything I can do about this? I don't know much, but I was looking this up and didn't manage to find anything about baby chicks just constantly jumping even when they injure themselves.

Pic of the way it lies down (sometimes it sits properly... but after furiously jumping it ends up like this)
bvcbbdf.png

Hi! This baby chick is 2 weeks old.
Its been constantly jumping at the sides and corners of the box we have the baby chicks in. However, yesterday, it seemed to be not doing so well because we found it being trampled by the other ones while lying down on its side with its feet out. We fed some sugar water and food (rice, broccoli, cauliflower head pieces is what we have been using) and it perked up a bit, and then it was able to walk again. So we put it back with the other chicks after awhile and it just continued to jump. Today, it has continued to jump until we found it lying around again. What we suspect is that it is injuring its leg... but still continues to jump when it feels even remotely ok. Right now we've isolated it and are handfeeding (sugar water, egg yolk) it.
Anything I can do about this? I don't know much, but I was looking this up and didn't manage to find anything about baby chicks just constantly jumping even when they injure themselves.

Pic of the way it lies down (sometimes it sits properly... but after furiously jumping it ends up like this)
View attachment 3090025
I don't have enough experience to help you with a real diagnosis - but I do know that vitamin B deficiency causes all sorts of weird leg and walking issues. Giving extra vitamin B is very safe so as long as s/he is drinking you can put some in the water. It will take several days to have any effect.

Thank you both for replying! The chick is doing much better now!! We've started letting it out to walk around, it has a great time. Although yes I believe we should be adding in vitamins. I've been looking at human vitamin b complex since I've read that it could work, but is there any brand in particular you'd suggest? I worry about all the other vitamins and ingredients that go into the ones I'm seeing, I'd hate to poison/overdose the chick somehow, so hey, I figured I'd ask just in case.

B vitamins are water soluble so a little harder to overdose, though I would still caution overusing it - if the chick has improved and is staying that way, I would not add extra vitamins unless I see its condition regressing. I don't recall what brand I used (it was liquid and required refrigeration so had a limited shelf life) but it was strictly a B vitamin complex.

Back
Top Bottom