Baby chick keeps sitting and closing eyes, will move but has little to no energy

If she hasn't been warmed recently she will die from being cold. Blocked vent could have been here issue and if you can warm her up you might be able to save her. If you can't set up a temporary brooder for her and her mom won't take her back to warm her then I would cull her.

If she hasn't been warmed recently she will die from being cold. Blocked vent could have been here issue and if you can warm her up you might be able to save her. If you can't set up a temporary brooder for her and her mom won't take her back to warm her then I would cull her.
I don't want her to be pain and I think culling is the best option, what's the most painless way?

I don't want her to be pain and I think culling is the best option, what's the most painless way?
I use baking soda and vinegar in a sealed container. Put the chick in a cup, baking soda in another cup then put vinegar in the cup with the baking soda and seal the container. They will pass out from the CO2 and feel no pain and then pass away. Others just remove the head but I can't do that to a baby. I don't know why as I have no issue doing it to a full grown chicken.

I use baking soda and vinegar in a sealed container. Put the chick in a cup, baking soda in another cup then put vinegar in the cup with the baking soda and seal the container. They will pass out from the CO2 and feel no pain and then pass away. Others just remove the head but I can't do that to a baby. I don't know why as I have no issue doing it to a full grown chicken.
I might sadly have to do this. A bbw turkey poult I have is dealing with some leg issues.. His little knee joints are swollen and he is having a lot of trouble walking. He stands and walks short little distances, before stumbling over again... I don't want to see him in pain as he ages. This method seems sooo much better than decapitation, and I will feel a lot more comfortable doing this, than that. Im giving him a little more time though. He is a fighter! So hoping with vitamins and extra care he can grow up and live a full life.

Update, Unfortunately, we had to cull the little chick, I did the method with the baking soda and vinegar and the cups, She could not even chirp any more, and all that came out was a small little peep, I placed her in the cup and let her mom say goodbye, but she ended up walking away, AGAIN. I gave her one more rub and then I put her inside and in a few moments she stopped moving and passed away :hit I buried her where I buried her siblings

I am so sorry to hear you had to do that, that's the worst part of being a chicken parent. :( Ill be praying for ya!
Okay, Now the mom is looking for her chicks, Oh my gosh dude, Your chicks all died!! Did you not see their dead bodies?? Shes holding worms and trying to find the babies how do I bring her the bad news? :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for that.
Life involves death, and tips like that make it easier.

Back
Top Bottom