BABY CHICK SEXING ~ Discussion Thread

Wing sexing only works on certain breeds that feather out at a certain rate. It can not be done with any accuracy on any other breeds. You might as well dangle a needle on thread over their heads.
I've heard vent sexing is possible on day old quail with around 50-70% accuracy but only in a few places. Most people claim it's not possible too. Makes me curious now

I've heard vent sexing is possible on day old quail with around 50-70% accuracy but only in a few places. Most people claim it's not possible too. Makes me curious now
Vent sexing is absolutely possible and reliable. I vent sex my quail and have had very good accuracy. I've only ever gotten a couple wrong.
It's dangerous if you don't know what you're doing though.

Vent sexing is absolutely possible and reliable. I vent sex my quail and have had very good accuracy. I've only ever gotten a couple wrong.
It's dangerous if you don't know what you're doing though.
Oh awesome! Can I ask for any resources? And dangerous due to how fragile the little babies are?

Following to learn! :pop

Well, what about sex-links?
Sexlinks are sexable from down color. BSLs, for example, play with sexlinked barring. It works for most breeds.
It needs to be the cross of a fast feathering male and a slow feathering female. Unless that foundation is set, wings tell you nothing.

Feathering rate has to do with genetics.

It doesn't work on most "breeds". It needs to be a specific cross, not just a random chick you find at the feed store. The best way I can put it is that it would be no use to most people, unless you breed for that specific trait. So anyhow, just wait until the birds are 6-9 weeks old (for the average bird, this is the perfect time for gender and breed identification).
Sexing by feathering rate is a different concept, but works with specific crosses ^

What we were discussing earlier (on a different thread/pm) and now (on this thread) is how Mystery sexes her chicks. She seem to be using an entirely different method that includes sexing heritage breeds.

Oh awesome! Can I ask for any resources? And dangerous due to how fragile the little babies are?
I've tried so hard to get pics and they're just too tiny. I'm hoping to put together a photo chart though this summer, since I'm hoping to hatch a number of quail chicks and ducklings, and have a better camera and helper now.
Yes, they're just so tiny. Unfortunately it's hard to get pics too because of that.
It's hard to explain unless you know what you're looking at. The males have a tiny, shiny, black dot when their vent is gently pulled on, and the females don't.
I find it easiest to sort the definite males into a tub, put the questionable ones in a tub, and put the females in a tub. I then band each group with a tiny rubber poultry band, which I change out for a bigger one every couple weeks. That way I know if I was correct when they mature.
I try to sex each questionable one again a few times and make a decision. I add a pink or blue band to their other leg and leave on the white question one. That way I know those are birds I guessed on. I've had nearly 100% accuracy out of probably 30+ quail chicks.

I've tried so hard to get pics and they're just too tiny. I'm hoping to put together a photo chart though this summer, since I'm hoping to hatch a number of quail chicks and ducklings, and have a better camera and helper now.
Yes, they're just so tiny. Unfortunately it's hard to get pics too because of that.
It's hard to explain unless you know what you're looking at. The males have a tiny, shiny, black dot when their vent is gently pulled on, and the females don't.
I find it easiest to sort the definite males into a tub, put the questionable ones in a tub, and put the females in a tub. I then band each group with a tiny rubber poultry band, which I change out for a bigger one every couple weeks. That way I know if I was correct when they mature.
I try to sex each questionable one again a few times and make a decision. I add a pink or blue band to their other leg and leave on the white question one. That way I know those are birds I guessed on. I've had nearly 100% accuracy out of probably 30+ quail chicks.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. Amazing, really appreciate it. Look forward to your summer chart!

Back
Top Bottom