qopt

Songster
Mar 14, 2020
Seattle, Washington
Okay, I am not sure if I am posting this in the right spot because I am new to the site. Bare with me!

I just got my first ever chickens, 5 Barnevelder Chicks!
It's been 5 days since I have gotten them, I got them from a local farm store. I am assuming the farm store got them around the beginning of the month, end of last month so they might be aged about a week or two.

Anyways, on to my problem..

The first day the only interaction I had with them was setting them in their brooder. After that I've made attempts for them to get used to me/like me.
I've tried everything for the chicks to like me. I've cooked up scrambled eggs and held it in my palm for around 30 minutes, but all the chicks crowded into the corner, away from me.
I've sat by their brooder with my hand in it, slightly petting them- not grabbing (I heard doing this makes it so they learn your hand isn't there to hurt them) and they still all crowd in the farthest corner away from me.
I've taken them out of the brooder and had them in a warm room with me to let them walk around me (I heard that they're very curious and will end up jumping on to you and getting used to you) but instead they all crowded away from by the farthest wall! I was sitting there for about 45 minutes- maybe an hour, and not one chick ever came up to me. I even had some treats by me, but they were not interested at all.
I've tried talking to them, and saying "chooka chooka" whenever I have treats or set down their food, to train them to come to me when I say that, and even at the sound of my voice or general presence, they all cower away.
I've also tried simply putting a cucumber in their brooder and poking at it (I've seen people do this, and learned it shows them to peck at it) but again, they all cowered away from me into a corner. The cucumber wasn't touched for 5 hours, I just ended up throwing it out.

I have friends who have recently gotten chicks, some even got the same breed as me. I went over and saw my friend who has chicks of the same breed, she only had them for 3 hours, but when she put her hand into their brooder to change the food, they all ran up to her hand! Then, she carelessly took them out of the brooder and sat them on the floor, and they all went up and jumped on her lap, they even ate treats from her hand! The same story goes for my friends who have different breeds of chicks, they are all so friendly and will eat treats from their hands and greet them whenever they're in the brooder.

What am I doing wrong?? I really want these chicks to like me, so that when they grow up they will be friendly, and docile. I really don't want aggressive/fearful chickens.
I know it's only been 5 days, but everyone around me who has chicks the same age, some even the same breed, all their chicks are not afraid of them, and are even happy to see them.

My impatience is mainly because I know that training/taming them as chicks is crucial for their friendliness/docileness as full grown hens.
I ask again, what could I be doing wrong? Or is there something new I can try?

Sorry for the paragraphs of writing, I just wanted to make sure that I've covered everything. I've attached a picture of the cutest/most fearful chicks ever!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    388.5 KB · Views: 12
Welcome to BYC!
First off I don't think you need to worry about having aggressive chickens or fearful chickens when they grow up. I handle our chicks very little and they grow up to be very docile. They are more indifferent than anything. They stay about 3ft away unless i have food or water then they come running.

It sounds like you would prefer your birds to be socialized pets. Our first batch of chicks were more sociable. The 2 roosters were constantly underfoot and in my way. Id be splitting firewood with a log splitter and they were right by my side.

The difference was we did the reach in and grab thing but slowly. Each day, every so many hours, I would pick up as any as I had time for and would hold them gently in ny hands until they were calm and relaxed. I offered treats of corn scratch or mealworms but very rarely. My "trick" was just slow, relaxed, quiet, and time.

I consider my birds as livestock so I no longer spend the "quality" time with them because in a max 10 months they will be harvested and the next batch will take their place.
Best advice I can offer you is to keep doing what your doing and be patient. Keep it quiet and relaxed and they will likely come around.

Welcome to BYC!
First off I don't think you need to worry about having aggressive chickens or fearful chickens when they grow up. I handle our chicks very little and they grow up to be very docile. They are more indifferent than anything. They stay about 3ft away unless i have food or water then they come running.

It sounds like you would prefer your birds to be socialized pets. Our first batch of chicks were more sociable. The 2 roosters were constantly underfoot and in my way. Id be splitting firewood with a log splitter and they were right by my side.

The difference was we did the reach in and grab thing but slowly. Each day, every so many hours, I would pick up as any as I had time for and would hold them gently in ny hands until they were calm and relaxed. I offered treats of corn scratch or mealworms but very rarely. My "trick" was just slow, relaxed, quiet, and time.

I consider my birds as livestock so I no longer spend the "quality" time with them because in a max 10 months they will be harvested and the next batch will take their place.
Best advice I can offer you is to keep doing what your doing and be patient. Keep it quiet and relaxed and they will likely come around.
I do want my chickens to be a bit more like pets then just livestock. They're going to be egg layers, and hopefully grow up and die on their own. I mainly want them to be friendly and sociable because I want them to fit in around kids, dogs (my dog is an english mastiff,,, he would never harass the chickens, just guard) and overall, I just want the chickens to be a good friend for the family. I would hate for them to grow up and not want to accept treats/pets, as me and my family really love animals.

Thank you for your advice. I might try holding them steady in my hands a few minutes everyday. I haven't thought to do that yet.

I do want my chickens to be a bit more like pets then just livestock. They're going to be egg layers, and hopefully grow up and die on their own. I mainly want them to be friendly and sociable because I want them to fit in around kids, dogs (my dog is an english mastiff,,, he would never harass the chickens, just guard) and overall, I just want the chickens to be a good friend for the family. I would hate for them to grow up and not want to accept treats/pets, as me and my family really love animals.

Thank you for your advice. I might try holding them steady in my hands a few minutes everyday. I haven't thought to do that yet.
Has your dog been around chickens before? If not, that is another introduction that needs to be made slowly and under close supervision. Prey drive can manifest itself without warning. Until you know for sure and he/she has that experience, I'd still take it slow.
Certain breeds are known to be more aggressive than others, especially when they mature and hormones start kicking in, protecting young/eggs (broody hens can be just plain mean) and of course roosters who sometimes think they own the place.
My roos are gentle giants. My adult hens and the breeding roo of choice all free range around our "farm." I have an 8yr old, soon to be 3yr old, and a 1 yr old pit/lab mix. Any rooster that shows aggression towards people is dinner after the first offense. The dog is indifferent to the birds now for the most part but it was a long rd.

Has your dog been around chickens before? If not, that is another introduction that needs to be made slowly and under close supervision. Prey drive can manifest itself without warning. Until you know for sure and he/she has that experience, I'd still take it slow.
Certain breeds are known to be more aggressive than others, especially when they mature and hormones start kicking in, protecting young/eggs (broody hens can be just plain mean) and of course roosters who sometimes think they own the place.
My roos are gentle giants. My adult hens and the breeding roo of choice all free range around our "farm." I have an 8yr old, soon to be 3yr old, and a 1 yr old pit/lab mix. Any rooster that shows aggression towards people is dinner after the first offense. The dog is indifferent to the birds now for the most part but it was a long rd.
He hasn't been around chickens before, but he's generally indifferent or more so worrisome around smaller animals. We have some cats and he would either walk away from them if they harassed him, or he would just completely ignore them.
He had never been around babies before friend of mine brought her 8 month old, my dog was confused but kept a good distance from the child. Note the baby was playing on a blanket on the floor, and my dog still kept a good distance or acted indifferent about the child.
We also have a smaller dog (boston terrier) who acts like he's the king of the world. Constantly trying to play/wrestle our english mastiff, yet our mastiff pays no attention and just walks away.
My mastiff is the only dog who is going to be around the chickens, and seeing as he is 6 years old (mastiffs have a very short life span only 6-8 yrs) and has health conditions (legs can't support his body well) and he is neutered, I don't think he's going to do anything to harm the chickens. He'll probably ignore them.

I am going to introduce him to them when the chicks are a bit older and bigger. I am planning on putting the chickens in a closed run, and then letting my dog meet them between a screen. See how he acts. If you have any other tips on how to introduce dogs to chickens I'd love to know.

My favorite approach is to pen chicks up in a cage that is waist to chest high. A work bench works well. Then cover pen on top and sides except front. When the birds are so penned I feed a chick starter that is kept in feeder at front of pen. Then I spend time near pen but do not mess with chicks. They need to see I am not focused on them.

In the evening the feeder is removed. Early the next morning I place a few meal worms in and after a little hesitation they go after the morsels. Live meal worms are far better that dried. Have compared live to dry multiple times. I give a consistent vocalication each time meal worms are applied. After they get a quick treat, then the reloaded feeder is put back in for day. Care is to move slowly and not look directly at chicks.

I do have birds that are effectively pets, and even my non-pets are extremely tame by most standards.

I have several pens like this. Most of the time a hen also used but outcome same without hen. Keeping chicks warm and dry will be a concern.
1584186141624.png

Chicks readily get up on someone after a couple days.
1584186226113.png

Note chicks coming to front of cage where kids are even though their mother is avoiding kids.
1584186355670.png

Okay, I am not sure if I am posting this in the right spot because I am new to the site. Bare with me!

I just got my first ever chickens, 5 Barnevelder Chicks!
It's been 5 days since I have gotten them, I got them from a local farm store. I am assuming the farm store got them around the beginning of the month, end of last month so they might be aged about a week or two.

Anyways, on to my problem..

The first day the only interaction I had with them was setting them in their brooder. After that I've made attempts for them to get used to me/like me.
I've tried everything for the chicks to like me. I've cooked up scrambled eggs and held it in my palm for around 30 minutes, but all the chicks crowded into the corner, away from me.
I've sat by their brooder with my hand in it, slightly petting them- not grabbing (I heard doing this makes it so they learn your hand isn't there to hurt them) and they still all crowd in the farthest corner away from me.
I've taken them out of the brooder and had them in a warm room with me to let them walk around me (I heard that they're very curious and will end up jumping on to you and getting used to you) but instead they all crowded away from by the farthest wall! I was sitting there for about 45 minutes- maybe an hour, and not one chick ever came up to me. I even had some treats by me, but they were not interested at all.
I've tried talking to them, and saying "chooka chooka" whenever I have treats or set down their food, to train them to come to me when I say that, and even at the sound of my voice or general presence, they all cower away.
I've also tried simply putting a cucumber in their brooder and poking at it (I've seen people do this, and learned it shows them to peck at it) but again, they all cowered away from me into a corner. The cucumber wasn't touched for 5 hours, I just ended up throwing it out.

I have friends who have recently gotten chicks, some even got the same breed as me. I went over and saw my friend who has chicks of the same breed, she only had them for 3 hours, but when she put her hand into their brooder to change the food, they all ran up to her hand! Then, she carelessly took them out of the brooder and sat them on the floor, and they all went up and jumped on her lap, they even ate treats from her hand! The same story goes for my friends who have different breeds of chicks, they are all so friendly and will eat treats from their hands and greet them whenever they're in the brooder.

What am I doing wrong?? I really want these chicks to like me, so that when they grow up they will be friendly, and docile. I really don't want aggressive/fearful chickens.
I know it's only been 5 days, but everyone around me who has chicks the same age, some even the same breed, all their chicks are not afraid of them, and are even happy to see them.

My impatience is mainly because I know that training/taming them as chicks is crucial for their friendliness/docileness as full grown hens.
I ask again, what could I be doing wrong? Or is there something new I can try?

Sorry for the paragraphs of writing, I just wanted to make sure that I've covered everything. I've attached a picture of the cutest/most fearful chicks ever!
I usually don't mess much with my chicks, I'm busy and don't take the time (I could I guess) to "sit with them" or anything. I have found they grow up just as friendly and nice as the rest of the flock. Once they are older and realize you are the bringer of treats, they will flock to you! I have chickens that I never touched as babies and now that they are grown they jump in my lap! I too just got some chicks that seem to me to be more afraid of me than what is normal. I don't know what happened to them at the store!? I'm sure that they will grow to love me in the end, and I'm not too worried. Mine were older when I bought them too. My guess is at least 2 weeks. I am from a farming family and was taught that livestock belongs outside. My parents wouldn't even let our dog in the house! But I do, I happen to agree that chickens belong outside so my brooder (this time) is an old bird cage. It gives them lots of room but they just want to get away from me for now. It's raining so they won't be getting many visits from me in these rainy days. Yours will be ok too! :hugs

baby easter eggers new today.jpg

He hasn't been around chickens before, but he's generally indifferent or more so worrisome around smaller animals. We have some cats and he would either walk away from them if they harassed him, or he would just completely ignore them.
He had never been around babies before friend of mine brought her 8 month old, my dog was confused but kept a good distance from the child. Note the baby was playing on a blanket on the floor, and my dog still kept a good distance or acted indifferent about the child.
We also have a smaller dog (boston terrier) who acts like he's the king of the world. Constantly trying to play/wrestle our english mastiff, yet our mastiff pays no attention and just walks away.
My mastiff is the only dog who is going to be around the chickens, and seeing as he is 6 years old (mastiffs have a very short life span only 6-8 yrs) and has health conditions (legs can't support his body well) and he is neutered, I don't think he's going to do anything to harm the chickens. He'll probably ignore them.

I am going to introduce him to them when the chicks are a bit older and bigger. I am planning on putting the chickens in a closed run, and then letting my dog meet them between a screen. See how he acts. If you have any other tips on how to introduce dogs to chickens I'd love to know.
Sounds like he will be good with them but you never know until theday comes. I learned that lesson when our friend brought over her 7yr old lab (believe me i know.....labs) anyways, she has chickens and he has been around them "all the time." "No worries." His feet were barely on the ground when he took off after a hen and grabbed her from behind. Luckily a few feathers lost was the only outcome. We got lucky. Now i treat every dog, young, old, big, small, whatever as a stranger around our birds.

Introducing dogs to contained chickens is a great idea. Using wire dog kennels keep the birds safe and allow the dog a chance to see and most importantly smell the new animal while preventing the bird from becoming a new chew toy. Birds in a run would be a situation where I would focus the dogs training on respecting boundaries. Since the bird is safe inside, there is no need for direct contact training. Instead focus on preventing the dog from jumping up onto the perimeter fencing, digging, barking, and excitedly pursuing the chickens around the fence. Allow him to be near the fence only if he remains calm. Eventually both the dog and the chickens will ignore each other.

Since my birds are free range and my 1 yr old pup has free access to them and is quite capable of catching them in the open, i started from the day we brought him home at 6wks. I caught a hen and had the 2 of them spend about 5 min together every so many hours or as often as i could. He was always leashed and never allowed to paw at or play with the hen. Gradually, i increased the time and after a few months, i put him on a 20' lead a d sllowed him to roam ahead with the chickens all around. Any chase behavior, and there was some stillbut more of a "mock charge" kind of thing, was immediately corrected.

Now "Charlie" (dog) ignores the chickens altogether, except when a new rooster is allowed to free range. Then he is fascinated by the "stranger" for a few min before going on his way.

Introducing an older dog to free range birds: i would definitely start with the birdin a wire kennel. It will allow you to assess how much drive the dog has to get to the bird.
In all cases, patience and time are the keys. Dont expect too much too soon.

First thing I'll ask is how well trained is your dog? If you tell him Leave It will he pull away without issue and come back to you?

Having them meet with a fence in between is great, but not if he's lunging at the fence and terrifying them. A leash or e-collar may still be a good tool if you're not sure how well he'll do to verbal commands only.

Back
Top Bottom