Back charging rooster....Thank you

RhondaS

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 20, 2013
Thank all of you for your advice and stories. After being charged at again I decided to find Mr.T a new home. It's interesting that after he was gone the hen settled right down, before she was aloof. Now she eats out of my hand and is so gentle. Another question, I have four chicks...3 weeks old.. when they are ready to be moved to the big pen with the single 8 month old hen will there be an acceptance problem?

There will be some initial disputes. It's all about defining the social order. Good move on getting rid of the human aggressive rooster.

In my experience I've had to wait until about four months to bring young birds in with older birds, but that's always been for an established, older flock. With a single hen I might try as young as two months, but you'd want to pick a time when you can monitor them pretty close in case she gets too mean.

I'd wait until they are 2 or 3 months old, and then I'd slip them in the coop after dark one night. They can sleep all night with the hen and hopefully, when they all wake up, the hen won't be all upset. I would watch them pretty closely for a few days to make sure she doesn't get mean with them. If she's a lone bird though, I'm thinking she'll be glad to see some of her own kind.

Back
Top Bottom