Back for round 2 - 50% hatch on first attempt

Hantell

Chirping
Jun 6, 2023
We lost our rooster unexpectedly the day before our first batch of incubator eggs were due to hatch.

We ended up with 5 out of 10 healthy little chicks! Of the remaining 5, 2 never seemed to start developing, 2 stopped around day 4-5, and 1 made it maybe a little further.

I wasn’t planning on hatching more, but since losing our best guy I figured we’d hatch as many as we can of his while we can. So, I just have a cheapy Amazon incubator. It seems to hold temp and humidity well. Our first round was a homeschool project just for fun, so I’m assuming our losses were from over handling/candling, but I’m really not sure. I’d like to be more precise and hands-off this time in hopes of a better hatch.

I’ve read that eggs can stay fertile for upwards of 4+ weeks, if I start collecting about a week before this hatch date, what are the odds I could get one more round in?

I love seeing all the cute hatch-a-longs on here! So I decided to do one with my family. 😄
Here’s what they picked:
IMG_3027.jpeg

1: Grandpa - Butch
3: Dad - Turbo
6: LA - Betty
7: Aunt T - Domino
8: L - Ellie
9: Gran - Nellie
11: C - Giga
12: M - Tina

I’ll try to remember to add their progress, and I’m sure I’ll be back to update with questions 😜

You should get a better hatch rate with less opening up that incubator. I candle only twice...once at 7 days where I pull the clear ones out, and once right before I do lockdown so if I can see any quitters to pull out.

Good luck to all and I wish you a great hatch!! :highfive:

You should get a better hatch rate with less opening up that incubator. I candle only twice...once at 7 days where I pull the clear ones out, and once right before I do lockdown so if I can see any quitters to pull out.

Good luck to all and I wish you a great hatch!! :highfive:
Thank you!
That’s my plan for candling this time around as well 😊

I just have a cheapy Amazon incubator. It seems to hold temp and humidity well.
A lot of chicks have been hatched with some of those incubators. There are so many different makes and models out there. Some of them are not good but if it holds temperature and humidity well you can hatch eggs. The eggs need to be turned regularly too.

I’m assuming our losses were from over handling/candling, but I’m really not sure. I’d like to be more precise and hands-off this time in hopes of a better hatch.
I try to be as hands-off as I can but a broody hen leaves her nest regularly and the eggs still hatch. As long as you don't drop them and crack them, handle them with dirty hands, or leave them out of the incubator for an extremely long time you are probably not doing any harm. Some people on this forum handle them a ridiculous amount of time and still get decent hatches. The way I look at it, every time you handle them is an opportunity for something to go wrong so I encourage less handling, rather than more. But I do not drop them every time I handle them.

I’ve read that eggs can stay fertile for upwards of 4+ weeks, if I start collecting about a week before this hatch date, what are the odds I could get one more round in?
Eggs can stay fertile for 4 weeks or so but the majority don't make three weeks. It is not as rare as stepping outside, picking up a rock at random, and saying "Oh! A solid gold nugget" but don't expect a lot of success.

In your situation instead of starting to gather eggs a week before the last incubation, I'd start saving eggs two weeks before incubation. If you turn them a few times a day and store them in a relatively cool place either with the wide side up or laying flat you have a fair chance o them hatching. It would help if the humidity were fairly high to minimize moisture loss from the eggs while storing them. I'd feel better about my chances as opposed to waiting an extra week before collecting eggs.

A lot of chicks have been hatched with some of those incubators. There are so many different makes and models out there. Some of them are not good but if it holds temperature and humidity well you can hatch eggs. The eggs need to be turned regularly too.
Yes, the one I have does have an automatic turner! All things considered I think it’s sufficient for what I need.

Eggs can stay fertile for 4 weeks or so but the majority don't make three weeks. It is not as rare as stepping outside, picking up a rock at random, and saying "Oh! A solid gold nugget" but don't expect a lot of success.

In your situation instead of starting to gather eggs a week before the last incubation, I'd start saving eggs two weeks before incubation. If you turn them a few times a day and store them in a relatively cool place either with the wide side up or laying flat you have a fair chance o them hatching. It would help if the humidity were fairly high to minimize moisture loss from the eggs while storing them. I'd feel better about my chances as opposed to waiting an extra week before collecting eggs.
Good to know! I will do that instead. I would definitely expect a decrease after the time, but would also like to maximize odds!

ive never had much luck past 2 weeks or so once the rooster is gone ... id say several will still be fertile though if you keep collecting beyond that, but hey, ~6 more is 6 more .. been there with a wiped out herd ..

Back
Top Bottom