Backyard Chicken Newbie in Alaska

TillyD

Songster
Jun 1, 2022
Well... The title almost says it all. We got six chicks that were 5 days old about 6 weeks ago, and then two more 3 weeks later. We had decided to try to hatch some of our own, and ordered 12, and a Kebonnixs incubator. The day after we ordered our eggs, our original chicken "dealer" contacted us asking if we wanted to incubate some eggs she had 18 that she had been holding on to for over a week and didn't think she'd have time to do. She loaned us her Nuture Right 360 and we started those 24 days ago. Our eggs we ordered arrived two days later and with 14 eggs and then went in 20 days ago. I kept 8, and my mother took 6 to put in her own incubator. Hers are a day behind mine. Unfortunately, she had a power outtage on day 15 of incubation. She wrapped her incubator in a towel immediately and brought it the 1 mile to my hoise, where we plugged it back in and prayed... Of the 18 in the Nuture Right, 14 were growing on day 18 when we went into lockdown. 10 hatched over the last 3 days. In my Kebonnix, those 8 are all looking promising as of the day before yesterday before lockdown. My mom had 4 look promising yesterday when she locked down her incubator (still at my house.) So, in short, I've spent the last 4 days balancing three different incubators, one three different timeliness, and all of different design. Lol. Hoping it is worth it! Thanks for reading if you got this far. :p

Back
Top Bottom