Bad Experience with big name, highly rated chick sellers.

end of the road farm

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2023
A few weeks ago, I wanted to order some day old chicks, and the breed I wanted would not be available for about 100 days. I couldn't figure any way to "reserve" them other than to go on and order them. Although the hatch date was 3 1/2 months away, they wanted 100% of the payment up front. Is that normal? I can see some sort of deposit, but to me that's like going to McDonalds and paying for a hamburger and going to pick it up at the drivethru mid June. Don't seem right. However, they've got good reviews. So, reluctantly I ordered. FIRST, making sure they had a very clearly defined cancellation policy.
And, sure enough, a few days later, my worst fear came true, and I'm not going to be able to take on any additional obligations for an indetermined period of time. If ever. So, I thought about it a day or 2, and went to the website early one morning and cancelled the order. The cancellation went through, there were all the amounts, etc, and a notation that some charge would not be refunded to my credit card. I click that link, it basically refreshed the page, but there was no mention of the charge that could not be refunded, and no matter what I clicked on, that issue never showed again.
So, that was 3 days ago this morning. No refund in my CC account, not even in pending. The seller still shows the order cancelled, but I can't find anything else. Is it possible that they're thinking the longer it drags out, the more likely it is that they won't ever have to do anything? That would be a horrible way to run a business. Or, maybe that they're going to give me a store credit? Almost equally as horrible.
I also felt pretty violated by their, while wanting me to pat 100%, 100 days in advance, felt it their right to question why I wanted to cancel the order. It'd a medical issue, and none of their business!!

I know nobody is out to get me, but all parts of this effort(good faith on my part, I DID even pay them 100% 100 days in advance) strikes me as not the sort of thing I'd ever repeat, if at all avoidable.
Anyone else ever have any of these sort of issues before? Did they resolve themselves, even if slow, or did you have to cancel the transaction at the credit card company(another huge PITA)?

Paying 100% up front is normal, a hang time between cancelation and refund is normal, cancelation fees are normal. Paying up front helps weed our flakes and guarantees your place. These are live animals that need a guaranteedhone not hamburgers
I would not trust a hatchery that didn't change up front.
Every hatchery and most online business operates like that.
All your complaints are about normal processes, you didn't have a bad experience, just something you're not used to.

I'm just used to ordering from places that don't charge until your order is packed. I guess 99% of what I order comes from Amazon. And I've never ordered anything that wouldn't even be made(in this case hatched) for 3 months, before. All new to me.

I'm just used to ordering from places that don't charge until your order is packed. I guess 99% of what I order comes from Amazon. And I've never ordered anything that wouldn't even be made(in this case hatched) for 3 months, before. All new to me.
Amazon is one the few online businesses that operate like that, its not normal and puts an unhealthy strain on other online businesses since people expect that everywhere.

Welp, 12 days and a few hours ago, I canceled my order. Immediately got a canceled order email, and on the website, "my account" showed the order and the cancelled order.
Then, nothing. I've tried calling(got a recording telling me to email) and I've emailed. Still, nothing. My credit card has NOT been reimbursed. I have NOT gotten any further communication from the hatchery.
Considering it took a blink of the eye for the charge to show up when I made the order, you'd think it wouldn't take 12 days to notice and act on the cancellation.
I guess I'll just go ahead and file a complaint(or whatever it's called) with the credit card company today.
I went through something similar a few years ago when I paid my AAA bill, aand it was taken out again the next day. They claimed it was on automatic billing, but I'd never consider auto-paying something that only comes due once a year, who would ? Anyway, it was hellish to get that straight, one of the tech support people told me it would go right on throuh if I just claimed it was a stolen card thing...a crazy fix for what should have been fairly simple. Anyway, I did not do that, but it really took a lot to ever get my money back on that.
So, I guess I'll see, and I'll let the forum know what the end result is, how long it takes, ETC.
Incidentally, before I made the order, I DID check on what their refund/cancelation policy was. Refund was to be same day, no cancellation fee. For an order that couldn't be filled for 3 1/2 months.

Welp, 12 days and a few hours ago, I canceled my order. Immediately got a canceled order email, and on the website, "my account" showed the order and the cancelled order.
Then, nothing. I've tried calling(got a recording telling me to email) and I've emailed. Still, nothing. My credit card has NOT been reimbursed. I have NOT gotten any further communication from the hatchery.
Considering it took a blink of the eye for the charge to show up when I made the order, you'd think it wouldn't take 12 days to notice and act on the cancellation.
I guess I'll just go ahead and file a complaint(or whatever it's called) with the credit card company today.
I went through something similar a few years ago when I paid my AAA bill, aand it was taken out again the next day. They claimed it was on automatic billing, but I'd never consider auto-paying something that only comes due once a year, who would ? Anyway, it was hellish to get that straight, one of the tech support people told me it would go right on throuh if I just claimed it was a stolen card thing...a crazy fix for what should have been fairly simple. Anyway, I did not do that, but it really took a lot to ever get my money back on that.
So, I guess I'll see, and I'll let the forum know what the end result is, how long it takes, ETC.
Incidentally, before I made the order, I DID check on what their refund/cancelation policy was. Refund was to be same day, no cancellation fee. For an order that couldn't be filled for 3 1/2 months.
I would get ahold of your credit card company then.

Back
Top Bottom