Bantam Cochin thread.

My Cochin rooster

~~The Pekin is a True bantam, a breed of miniature chicken which has no large fowl counterpart. They are rather round-shaped, and their carriage tilts forward, with the head slightly closer to the ground than their elaborate tail feathers. This 'tilt' is a key characteristic of the Pekin. The bird on the whole, though the tail especially, should be abundantly feathered, and well rounded. The cockerels often have longer feathers that protrude outwards from their feet. The range of Pekin colours is extensive, and the list is continually growing. Rarer colours are in great demand, and many breeders spend much time perfecting new lines of colours in their birds. Frizzled Pekins are common. Pekin Bantams are very docile, and with careful and regular handling they make ideal pets, especially for families with younger children. However, the Pekin bantam cocks can still be aggressive and defensive of their territory.

I believe that in the USA, you do have a large counterpart - the Cochin, whereas it states above - The Pekin is a True Bantam - has NO large counterpart.

True, i live in Ireland and I call mine Cochin just because whenever I would say they are pekins on this site everyone would ask me if I was confusing them with ducks! Lol

Cochins were actually imported from Cochin China(now known as Southern Vietnam). They were trye bantams, but were tall and rangy, sorta like Malays and had a resemblance to Langshans. They were given to Queen Victoria(who collected chickens) in the 1800s. Shanghai kept the roundest, fluffiest of birds, and bred them to what they're known for today. They were presented to the queen 4 years later, and became a huge hit. The name "Shanghai" or "Pekin" never stuck because the Cochin was so popular. In the poultry books, they are referenced as Pekin, but to the public and breeders, they are known as Cochins

(Cochin) - This chicken was originally bred in China and later exported to Britain and America in the mid 19th century. As a very distinctive breed of chicken, it apparently created a bit of a craze among poultry lovers in the English-speaking world, effectively launching poultry fancy as we know it today.Not only was this breed one of the largest seen, with cocks weighing up to 11 pounds (5 kg), but also the soft and plentiful plumage makes the bird quite conspicuous by exaggerating its already large size. Once in the United States, the breed underwent considerable development into its current state. There is also a bantam version, which is often called the "Pekin bantam", but should not be confused with the separate true Pekin bantam.

Back
Top Bottom