Bantam EE sex?

AprilWC

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 7, 2011
north Georgia
I have this bantam Easter Egger (4 months old) and I continue to go back and forth on its sex. I have two others - 1 is for sure a hen and 1 is for sure a roo, but this one appears to go either way. On one hand it has a larger comb than the pullet, but it doesn't have the longer tail feathers like the for sure roo. It is very vocal but not crowing (neither is the for sure roo so far). Your opinions are appreciated and will determine if this bird gets to stay or needs to find a new home!

After reading the EE sexing post I agree that the color looks male, but now I'm more confused. For the past 2-3 days I've heard a chicken making the "I'm laying an egg, look at me" sound with no eggs. I finally identified the culprit and it is this bird. Would a roo be making sounds like this?

After reading the EE sexing post I agree that the color looks male, but now I'm more confused. For the past 2-3 days I've heard a chicken making the "I'm laying an egg, look at me" sound with no eggs. I finally identified the culprit and it is this bird. Would a roo be making sounds like this?

Sometimes that's just a general "I'm nervous" sound, my young cockerels will occasionally make sounds like that.

But again, do a check for pointed hackle and saddles--at 4 months they are definitely going to be there if it is a male. This is 100% accurate in all but a few breeds. A piece of white paper under the feathers will help you see the point. I've found this works better with saddle feathers.

Back
Top Bottom