Bantam Wyandotte

AtRendeAcres

Songster
12 Years
May 23, 2007
Clarion County
I am thinking about giving someone Bantam Wyandottes or Orpington Bantams to someone in the spring!

They would be interested in good companion that gave a decent size egg, not an intimidating size & spend little on feed!

So tell me about your Bantam Wyandotte:

How do they lay?
how often?
size compared to a small egg you would buy in supermarket?

What is there temperament like?
do they want to be held?

How are the Roos?

Do You Have A Picture?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a few pics of my son's black bantam roo.

100_0072.jpg

100_0400.jpg

He's in the 44 week old range and has quite the attitude with me.
He doesn't give my son any trouble at all,
but he will jump at the fence just about every time I walk by.
Of course I go in and set him straight when he does it.

I really try to avoid him because too many intimidations from him and I will get rid of him but I know that would just break my son's heart.

He's very good with his girl and fertility is no problem.
I don't have any hens so can't offer any input there.

When I go in there, I can pick him up and hold him for the longest time without a fight. He's only pecked at me one time.
Kinda makes me wonder if he does the jumping thing to get my attention!!

I also wonder if more girls would mellow his attitude a little or only make it worse since he would have more to protect!

Last edited:
Hi
frow.gif

Wyandottes are great chickens. It's nice of you to give one to someone in spring. They are such good dual-purpose chickens.

Bantams are miniature chickens; smaller than regular chickens. Example: A bantam orpington is exactly like a regular orpington, only smaller. They are sometimes called "bonsai chickens." Their size does not affect egg quality and taste, but it do changes its size to smaller...........

Egg laying: They are excellent layers of brown eggs: 150 - 220 eggs a year per hen, one egg a day.

Egg size: Since they're bantams, their eggs would be smaller than regular wyandottes' egg, but that does not change its nutrition value and taste. Think of it as a mini-egg
big_smile.png

Temperament/Behavior: Wyandottes are very sweet and docile chickens and make good pets. They often get broody and have excellent parenting skills for eggs and baby chicks. But, they can be a little aggressive sometimes. Holding them will not bother them, but be gentle because they might panic.
Roos are generally aggressive, but so are roos of all chicken breeds. It's normal for roos to be quite aggressive.

Sorry but I don't have a picture of my own
big_smile.png
, but here's some pics from feathersite.com(they have a nice library of chicken breeds there). They aren't bantams, but imagine them small and have feathery feet
smile.png

Partridge Wyandotte Pullet:
PartridgeWyandottePullet.jpg

A Nice cold Blue-laced Wyandotte:
ColdBlue-LacedRedPullet.jpg

And Here's a nice Partridge roo:
PartridgeMale.jpg

Good luck!
clap.gif

I am weighing out what would be better for her I know she would love the eggs but, would be intimidated by a regular size chicken

So far I have narrowed it down to the Bantam Wyandotte or Orpington!

With the info that the roo can be aggressive I guess I am leaning toward Bantam Orpington!

I have to I love giving people chicken presents
love.gif

So far all recieve them well I make sure brooding is done, all pretty tamed by then and they would have a place to keep!

That is so sweet to give someone chickens for a gift. Wish my friends would give me that kind of gift. Has your friend express interest in owning one as a pet or is it a complete surprise.

I have a Silverlaced Wyandotte roo (standard size, not bantam) that is not aggressive at all. We can all pick him up and he is best with my 14 yr old daughter. He is very sweet and so lovely.

My most personable chickens are my EE. They are so cuddly and act like cats. All my chic are standard and not bantam.

I'm curious about any answers to the questions posed, also. How often do these two breeds lay, and how large are the eggs?

I have an interest in the "miniature" heritage breed chickens in particular, and began my chicken farming last year with bantam Buff Brahmas. I am gaining increasing appreciation for my Brahmas as they mature, and would not mind having a bantam Dark Brahma or two. Those little girls can lay some eggs, and they aren't small eggs, either. And, they taste awesome! As far as I'm concerned, my bantam Brahma eggs are little gourmet treats, and a few people who have shared them agree with me. I have four Brahma pullets and they produce 16-18+ eggs per week, and I've had as many as 21 in a week. When they first began to lay, the smallest eggs were 1-1/8 oz. Now, the eggs weigh 1-3/8 oz. to 1-5/8 oz. on average, with a large majority of them in the 1-1/2 to 1-5/8 oz range. That's a lot of egg from such a little chicken.

Now I want bantam Speckled Sussex (I have one chick that is one week old), bantam Orpingtons, and bantam Wyandottes, just to see which ones I like best. The Wyandottes come in so many beautiful colors.

This is not to add yet another breed to your choices, because I like your two breed choices very much. It's just to encourage you, because you can expect that certain "bantam" chicken breeds will be pretty good layers of eggs for you. I have been reading about this, and I may be wrong, but it may be that the bantam Brahmas and the Orpingtons lay the largest bantam eggs of the bantam breeds in their breed category - i.e., other heavy, dual purpose heritage breeds like Plymouth Rocks, RIRs, and Wyandottes. But the Wyandottes can come in so many beautiful varieties.

Last edited:
At Rende, did you ever get some chicks? My bantam Wyandottes arrived today! I received 25 from Ideal Poultry. They had a short-term special on assorted Wyandottes with a great price break for purchasing 25 or more. That's a lot, I know, but it's the right time of year and I feel pretty confident that I can get rid of as many as I want on craigslist, and keep what I want, too.

Within a couple of hours of this photo they were already in a larger brooder. They came a day early, and I wasn't quite set up for them, so they went into the plastic drawer first.

I think I have a few golden laced, maybe 3? I know the dark one is a golden laced. I have 2 blues, maybe 2 buffs, and a lot of Columbian and buff Columbian. I'm very excited about the blues. I've wanted a blue chicken for a while.

Back
Top Bottom