Barn Lime deception, mixture of both, what the heck?! (please help!)

Quailsong

Songster
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
Long story short, we ended up with a bag of "Dolomitic Hydrated Spray Lime" http://www.graymont.com/en/products/hydrated-lime/dolomitic-hydrated-lime-type-s

My partner was instructed to get Dolomite lime (barn/garden) instead of the other lime; slake, burnt, masons, etc. The guy at the store assured this was the safe stuff. Is this really it? It has warnings all over the bag, but more like "Don't paint in a kids play area." rather than the typical warnings with skeletal fingers & skulls.

Also, please don't give me your opinion that both lime types are okay. One is most certainly not. I need a solid answer here.

I know Dolomite is supposed to be safe. But 'Hydrated Lime' certainly is not since it's very caustic. "Dolomitic Hydrated Spray Lime" is just plain confusing. Which one is it?

Here's more on Dolomitic Hydrated Lime: http://www.menards.com/msds/102966_001.pdf

"Reacts violently with strong acids. Reacts chemically with acids and
many other compounds and chemical elements to form calcium based
compounds. Explosive when mixed with nitro organic compounds."

Nitro-organic would be very much present in a chicken coop...I really don't want fumes & such sickening my birds every time they poop.

Very much appreciate anyone's help in this matter. Esp if you can link me some solid facts here. I've looked online & I'm getting two different answers - both completely contradicting each other.

This is the percentages/ingredients:

Calcium Magnesium Hydroxide Ca(OH)2-Mg(OH)2
Calcium Hydroxide Magnesium Oxide Ca(OH)2-MgO

Calcium(Cal) 30%
Magnesium(Mg) 16%
Calcium Oxide(CaO) 42%
Magnesium Oxide(MgO) 27%
(And other trace/unknown)

I can only share this.

Since the magnesium levels are often 16-28% in bagged lime, I do not use it either in my barn pens nor on my large, organic market gardens. We only use the calcitic lime with a low magnesium of around 8% or less.

Whenever I shop lime, I shop calcitic lime with very, very low magnesium percentage. That's the only product I will use.

None of this directly answers your safe question, as I'm not qualified to do so. But I do know my business and low magnesium, calcitic lime is all I use in our applications. Hope this helps a wee bit. Hope you find the answers you're looking for.

I can only share this.

Since the magnesium levels are often 16-28% in bagged lime, I do not use it either in my barn pens nor on my large, organic market gardens. We only use the calcitic lime with a low magnesium of around 8% or less.

Whenever I shop lime, I shop calcitic lime with very, very low magnesium percentage. That's the only product I will use.

None of this directly answers your safe question, as I'm not qualified to do so. But I do know my business and low magnesium, calcitic lime is all I use in our applications. Hope this helps a wee bit. Hope you find the answers you're looking for.
Why do you go for less magnesium? Does that affect something you don't like in your garden or barn? I'm totally open here, trying to learn all I can.

And thank you for your time, Fred.

To add for anyone else reading:

I've read many accounts of people using both limes, with great effect (and also the reverse). I just don't want to cause extra issues for me, my health is already on shaky grounds as it is.

Right now I've got a completed nestbox in the basement which I'd love to paint this weekend. And maybe the coop, although I suspect it won't be warm enough till Spring. I just want to know what I'm putting in my coop is safe for the birds and the caretakers as well.

(Edit for clarity)

Last edited:
I've spent most of my life studying soil. Heathy soil is the basis of organic gardening and super production, healthy plants, vigorous growth, controlling pests, etc.

The subject is too broad for a lot of specifics, but yes. High magnesium is not beneficial to my soil structure and plants. Since my barn pen compost ends up on the gardens, the same low mag calcium carbonate is used. If I could source 99% calcium carbonate, I would do so.

Okay, I totally understand what you're saying, even if I don't understand your local soil composition. I'm glad you've got a system which works for you. Thank you for explaining it! :)

The more I'm reading & searching online at the local stores (for available products), the more I'm thinking I may just use both types of lime. The more caustic stuff on the walls & nestboxes, and the barn stuff for the deep litter dry-dusting as needed...when I can actually find it locally.

*deep sigh* It's really challenging to get the info & things I need locally. To give you an example of what I'm up against, most farmers/farm-stores I've met here seem to consider things like Scratch a well-balanced diet or don't even know what Cocci is. I'm just unlucky, is all - my chickens have all my luck. :)

But anywho, that's the miracle of farming, there's always SOMETHING more to learn & share. I just need to get on it & get my hands dirty. Well not with lime, I'm wearing gloves for that. And a mask...
lol.png

Okay, I totally understand what you're saying, even if I don't understand your local soil composition. I'm glad you've got a system which works for you. Thank you for explaining it! :)

The more I'm reading & searching online at the local stores (for available products), the more I'm thinking I may just use both types of lime. The more caustic stuff on the walls & nestboxes, and the barn stuff for the deep litter dry-dusting as needed...when I can actually find it locally.

*deep sigh* It's really challenging to get the info & things I need locally. To give you an example of what I'm up against, most farmers/farm-stores I've met here seem to consider things like Scratch a well-balanced diet or don't even know what Cocci is. I'm just unlucky, is all - my chickens have all my luck. :)

But anywho, that's the miracle of farming, there's always SOMETHING more to learn & share. I just need to get on it & get my hands dirty. Well not with lime, I'm wearing gloves for that. And a mask...
lol.png
Will your farm store order stuff for you? I use a brand called CalPril. It is granulated 97% Calcium Carbonate and only 3% magnesium. Nice as it is not too dusty. One of our local stores, Wilco Farm Store always has it in stock.

Will your farm store order stuff for you? I use a brand called CalPril. It is granulated 97% Calcium Carbonate and only 3% magnesium. Nice as it is not too dusty. One of our local stores, Wilco Farm Store always has it in stock.
I will see if they can. I'm not sure if they have that brand in Canada, but it's worth a try. Thank you very much!

Where in Canada are you? I grew up in Vancouver, BC and am heading up for a visit next week. My sis uses lime for the horse stalls, I will ask her if she can get it :)
I'm way over in Ottawa, Ontario area. So I'm out of luck there. But thank you kindly for your offer, that was very nice of you.^^

Back
Top Bottom