Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I bought some barnevelder chicks and they are supposed to be pullets ,
Some of them have all black chests and others have lacing sort of it's like partridge marking on their chest , are the ones with black chest males ?

I bought some barnevelder chicks and they are supposed to be pullets ,
Some of them have all black chests and others have lacing sort of it's like partridge marking on their chest , are the ones with black chest males ?

Typically, those with darker chests are females and those with lighter chests are males. However, this is not a 100% accurate way of sexing Barnies, and it typically only tends to be true with certain lines. With my last hatch is was an 83% accurate way of sexing them. If you got yours from a breeder, you can ask them if their birds are from a line that this applies to. If you have birds from a hatchery, I'm not sure this way of sexing them holds true at all.

There are other ways to sex Barnies as well. Barnies tend to be slower to mature than many other breeds, but females still tend to feather out quicker than the males. Males will typically have bald patches, especially at the shoulders, while females will have shoulders filling in with feathers quicker.

I can generally sex my Barnies between 3-5 weeks based on comb size and color.

Good luck with yours! I hope you enjoy the breed.

Typically, those with darker chests are females and those with lighter chests are males. However, this is not a 100% accurate way of sexing Barnies, and it typically only tends to be true with certain lines.   With my last hatch is was an 83% accurate way of sexing them. If you got yours from a breeder, you can ask them if their birds are from a line that this applies to.  If you have birds from a hatchery, I'm not sure this way of sexing them holds true at all. 

There are other ways to sex Barnies as well.  Barnies tend to be slower to mature than many other breeds, but females still tend to feather out quicker than the males.  Males will typically have bald patches, especially at the shoulders, while females will have shoulders filling in with feathers quicker. 

I can generally sex my Barnies between 3-5 weeks based on comb size and color.

Good luck with yours!  I hope you enjoy the breed.

My chicks are already feathered , some have all black chests and others don't

My Barnevelder blue double laced hen, named Art, decided to go broody 4 days ago. She is two years old. Yesterday I put her in her own apartment with the eggs and water and food available. She is SO spaced out in meditation mode. Do they just not drink or eat while broody?

Attachments

• broodyart2sm.jpg
    broodyart2sm.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
My Barnevelder blue double laced hen, named Art, decided to go broody 4 days ago. She is two years old. Yesterday I put her in her own apartment with the eggs and water and food available. She is SO spaced out in meditation mode. Do they just not drink or eat while broody?
She will get off the eggs once a day to eat, drink, poop, and dust bath. Generally they do it in the early morning, but they can do it anytime during the day.

Back
Top Bottom