barred oegb and lemon blue oegb

Sport and Splash are not the same, Sport can not be shown, now you can take one and enter it but there is no sport class and you can not show a sport as a splash, they are not the same, i have shown OEGB for almost 30 years.. They are breeding tools......

Quote:
I guess it is his coloring. I though he was a splash but he is a sport.

Some OEGB breeders really know their stuff and others haven't a clue (I browsed through the OEGB club forum recently). They called splash a sport a number of times. Not correct use of the term.

Sport is one of two things.

1) an unexpected mutation instead of the expected phenotype. Such as if you bred two lavenders and from that pairing hatched a grey, or bred two barred birds and hatched a red pyle. (I know of an incident when the first occurred; I cannot imagine a gene-set or mutation that would give rise to the later.)

2) much more commonly a sport would be when a recessive gene randomly pairs up with another and it shows in the offspring. Mottled from two parents who are not known to carry mottle; or lavender or recessive white under the same circumstances.

Splash is predictable, and should be expected from blue breedings. Now if you hatched splash from breeding two recessive white birds together, it would qualify as a sport.

I agree with Sonoran Silkies. The delaware was developed from the sports produced by breeding barred rocks to new hampshires. This cross produced sports that were silver. Evidently the barred rocks that were breeders back in the 40s carried gold and not the silver allele. For some reason one of the male barred rocks carried a silver allele which produced the sports.

See the following thread for more information on the possibilities from such a cross. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=275420

Tim

I have never showed them as Splash but this is a direct quote from "Old English Game Bantams as Bred and shown in the united states" by F.P. Jeffery and William Richardson consider by many to be one of the best books on old english.

Splash Old English

"Disqualifications-Any appearance of rust in any section of plumage-more than 50% blue in plumage.
Defects-Brassiness

He goes on to say

"For each blue variety(except self blue) there is a splash.These include Blue,Blue Red,Blue Brassy Back,Blue silver duckwing,blue golden duckwing,silver blue,lemon blue, and blue wheaten. All of the splashes coming from mating the various blue varietys are somewhat different so when using the term splash it is vital to know the breeding background of it. Splash breeds true in that splash x splash gives 100% splash.
Most exhibition splashes come from blue x blue mating or blue x splash mating but any splash which meets standard requirments, regardless of background can be shown as a splash."

I know they are used as tools in breeding programs,because that is the way the Splash(Sport) came about.

Back
Top Bottom