Barred Rock Guess

Holdthechicken

Songster
Mar 11, 2023
Hi All, this is my first time with BR chicks. I am wondering if one of them is a cockerel out of my two. The chick is not significantly more white but as it is growing, it is bigger and has had a bigger comb since day 1 and it miiiight be growing waddles but I am being a bit impatient, it's comb does appear yellow still. Don't mind the makeshift brooder, a neighbors tree fell on our fence and while our coop was safe, we brought the chicks in just in case some extra predators came snooping around the property. Thanks!
BR_Pulletday1.jpg
BRpulletday1_2.jpg
BRcockerel_day1.jpg
BRcockerel_day1_2.jpg
BRs_2weeks.jpg
BRCockerel_3weeks.jpg
BRcockerel_3weeks2.jpg
BRsidebyside.jpg

Attachments

• BRcockerel_day1_2.jpg
    BRcockerel_day1_2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 2
Hi All, this is my first time with BR chicks. I am wondering if one of them is a cockerel out of my two. The chick is not significantly more white but as it is growing, it is bigger and has had a bigger comb since day 1 and it miiiight be growing waddles but I am being a bit impatient, it's comb does appear yellow still. Don't mind the makeshift brooder, a neighbors tree fell on our fence and while our coop was safe, we brought the chicks in just in case some extra predators came snooping around the property. Thanks!
View attachment 3429246View attachment 3429247View attachment 3429248View attachment 3429249View attachment 3429250View attachment 3429251View attachment 3429253View attachment 3429254
Wow some of those chicks appear to be dead are you aware of that?

I just realized my labels from the computer didn't show correctly, the first two pictures are of the chick that I am pretty certain is my pullet, the rest are of my maybe cockerel.

Wow some of those chicks appear to be dead are you aware of that?
Do you mean the red one in the back? Itchy little chick was rubbing her belly right when I snapped the photo, I promise she is healthy and chirping along! It is the same red chick standing behind the barred rock in the picture before the one of both BRs. It was just a trick of the camera.. a bad bad trick.

Ahhhhh I see, Also have you cleaned their enclosure recently?
Yes, I was cleaning that setup in the AM and PM puppy pads do not hide the poop as well as the coop bedding! We brought them inside for two days to fix the fence so I snapped some pics that I could get better, but it was an emergency think on our feet kind of setup. They are now back in the outdoor coop/brooder.

Yes, I was cleaning that setup in the AM and PM puppy pads do not hide the poop as well as the coop bedding! We brought them inside for two days to fix the fence so I snapped some pics that I could get better, but it was an emergency think on our feet kind of setup. They are now back in the outdoor coop/brooder.
Oh good. I think it's a bit too young to tell gender, how old are they?

Oh good. I think it's a bit too young to tell gender, how old are they?
Almost 4 weeks old. I have never had a cockerel before, this one does make a different noise than the rest, would 3.5 weeks be too young for it to practice crowing? When it makes this specific noise (does not sound like a crow more like a screech) it stands pretty straight up.

Back
Top Bottom