Barred rock hen not quit right

Monika Lynne

Chirping
Feb 5, 2021
I'm truly not sure what is wrong with my 5yr old hen, Mimi.
She started limping a few days ago. I took her inside and gave her an warm soak in epsom salt (always my first go to). I checked her over for bumblefoot, waterbelly, scaley mites, or any other wounds. I did find two healed wounds on her back from our rooster, but that was it. Checked all the droppings for worms, but found nothing. I put her in her own cage with food and water and she ate and drank normally. Shes breathing normally. Her comb is a little droppy but otherwise looks ok. I was thinking she maybe got a sprain? Or the rooster hurt her(she's his favorite)? We are in day 4 and she has not improved. I did put her out of the cage yesterday, and kept the rooster locked up. She moved about the yard with her sisters, but shes still limping and having a hard time moving around. Her stance is odd, she's fluffed up and pulls her neck in, so I'm assuming she's uncomfortable in some way. When she was in the yard, she of course was limping but also kept her tail low to the ground. She's starting to get disinterested in her favorite treat (cat food). I also didn't see any droppings in her cage this morning, so I think I'll try another warm bath for her. I've researched ALOT and cannot really pin point what could be happening. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Attachments

• 20240419_080844.jpg
    20240419_080844.jpg
    745.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240419_080844.jpg
    20240419_080844.jpg
    745.7 KB · Views: 7
What have you been feeding her and what is in that bowl right now.
That grass could be a problem, I'd remove it.

She looks very uncomfortable like she may have an infection brewing, is a vet an option?

Trying to add a video but having difficulties. Also should mention that she has not laid eggs for almost, if not more than, a year....I don't think shes eggbound.

She looks very uncomfortable like she may have an infection brewing, is a vet an option?
In the bowl is just layer pellets.

In the bowl is layer pellets and cat food. I added the grass not to eat, but just because I felt bad keeping in her in the cage when she's normally free-range 😂 Vet is not an option, there are no vets anywhere near me that deal with chickens. My previous farm vet retired unfortunately.

Trying to add a video but having difficulties. Also should mention that she has not laid eggs for almost, if not more than, a year....I don't think shes eggbound.
This is a huge sign that she has something seriously wrong with her lady parts. Chickens lay eggs...it's what they do. She could be laying internally or have a bad infection. Not sure there is much you can do at this point but keep her comfortable without a vet.

This is a huge sign that she has something seriously wrong with her lady parts. Chickens lay eggs...it's what they do. She could be laying internally or have a bad infection. Not sure there is much you can do at this point but keep her comfortable without a vet.
Her sister also has not laid an egg for the same time period. Her sister is absolutely fine. If she was laying internally, I don't think she'd have made it this long? If a vet was an option, I'd be all for it. In my area you can barely find a vet for a cat or dog, let alone a chicken

You'd be surprised at how well and for how long a chicken can hide an illness.

You'd be surprised at how well and for how long a chicken can hide an illness.
I made a post on my community page asking for info on a livestock vet. Google searches turned up nothing, so Hopefully someone can guide me to one that can help.

Back
Top Bottom