Barred Rock hen x OE rooster. What color egg would it lay?

Swoco Farms

Hatching
May 19, 2024
I have a barred rock hen I bread with my olive egger rooster.

My question is. What egg color would the baby of the 2 end up laying?

Attachments

• 7D3F7D96-F205-4BFA-A1E2-C2B1B6438CD6.jpeg
    7D3F7D96-F205-4BFA-A1E2-C2B1B6438CD6.jpeg
    403.7 KB · Views: 13
It largely depends on the olive-egger. If he's a first generation OE cross, assuming his blue-egg parent was pure for the blue shell gene, then he has one blue shell gene and one not, meaning that about half of his offspring will inherit that from him and half will not.

If he's not a first generation OE cross, or if he is but his blue-shell parent was not pure for the blue shell gene, then it's entirely possible he doesn't have a blue shell gene at all, meaning none of his offspring would inherit it. And it's possible if he's not first-generation that he could be pure for the blue shell gene, meaning all of his offspring would carry it.

Since olive-eggers are a cross involving dark brown egg layers, and he's a male, we also don't know what brown shell coating genes he might carry. Olive eggs are a result of a blue shell with a heavy, dark brown coating, but that brown coating is polygenic, meaning several genes control it. In such a mix, you could have any number of those genes at play.

So to make a long post short, his daughters from a cross with a Barred Rock hen could lay regular brown, greenish, or maybe even dark brown or olive-colored eggs. But there's no way of knowing which or what ratio of them will lay what color without knowing more details about the olive-egger's history.

It largely depends on the olive-egger. If he's a first generation OE cross, assuming his blue-egg parent was pure for the blue shell gene, then he has one blue shell gene and one not, meaning that about half of his offspring will inherit that from him and half will not.

If he's not a first generation OE cross, or if he is but his blue-shell parent was not pure for the blue shell gene, then it's entirely possible he doesn't have a blue shell gene at all, meaning none of his offspring would inherit it. And it's possible if he's not first-generation that he could be pure for the blue shell gene, meaning all of his offspring would carry it.

Since olive-eggers are a cross involving dark brown egg layers, and he's a male, we also don't know what brown shell coating genes he might carry. Olive eggs are a result of a blue shell with a heavy, dark brown coating, but that brown coating is polygenic, meaning several genes control it. In such a mix, you could have any number of those genes at play.

So to make a long post short, his daughters from a cross with a Barred Rock hen could lay regular brown, greenish, or maybe even dark brown or olive-colored eggs. But there's no way of knowing which or what ratio of them will lay what color without knowing more details about the olive-egger's history.

The site keeps freaking out when I reply . He is G1 his sister from same parents lays a nice olive egg. If that helps any. I got from a well known breeder in the area

Back
Top Bottom