Barred Rock Rooster x Marans (Golden/Cuckoo/BC/BlueC/Splash)

ITF

Hatching
Apr 21, 2024
I have BR Roo if I hatch chicks from those Hens what "breed" would they be ? or what would they look like ..

I have BR Roo if I hatch chicks from those Hens what "breed" would they be ? or what would they look like ..
There is not really a special name for chicks from that cross. You could call them "mixed breed" or "Barred Rock Mix" or "Rock/Marans Mix" or something of the sort.

For appearance, I would expect them all to have white barring (inherited from the Barred Rock rooster.)

You should get black chicks and blue chicks.

The Splash mother will give just blue chicks (with white barring.)

Blue mothers will give about 50% blue chicks and 50% black chicks (all with white barring).

Mothers with no blue or splash will give black chicks (also with white barring.) The Golden and Cuckoo and Black Copper would be in this group.

Chicks may have some leakage of gold or silver when they grow up (more likely if the mother shows large amounts of gold/copper color, less likely if the mother shows none.)

Pure Barred Rock or Cuckoo Marans have males with two barring genes, and hens with one barring gene. Having two barring genes is what makes males of those breeds look lighter in color than females. With most of your crosses, both male and female chicks will have just one barring gene, so the males will not be lighter in color. Cuckoo Marans (blue or not) are barred, so chicks from Cuckoo Marans hens will have one barring gene if female and two barring genes if male. So the sons of those hens will look a bit lighter (more white/less black or blue) than any other chicks from these parents.

For the list of hen colors, I see the title says "Golden/Cuckoo/BC/BlueC/Splash"
I assume BC is Black Copper, but I'm not sure if BlueC is Blue Copper or Blue Cuckoo. I think I answered in a way that covers both options.

There is not really a special name for chicks from that cross. You could call them "mixed breed" or "Barred Rock Mix" or "Rock/Marans Mix" or something of the sort.

For appearance, I would expect them all to have white barring (inherited from the Barred Rock rooster.)

You should get black chicks and blue chicks.

The Splash mother will give just blue chicks (with white barring.)

Blue mothers will give about 50% blue chicks and 50% black chicks (all with white barring).

Mothers with no blue or splash will give black chicks (also with white barring.) The Golden and Cuckoo and Black Copper would be in this group.

Chicks may have some leakage of gold or silver when they grow up (more likely if the mother shows large amounts of gold/copper color, less likely if the mother shows none.)

Pure Barred Rock or Cuckoo Marans have males with two barring genes, and hens with one barring gene. Having two barring genes is what makes males of those breeds look lighter in color than females. With most of your crosses, both male and female chicks will have just one barring gene, so the males will not be lighter in color. Cuckoo Marans (blue or not) are barred, so chicks from Cuckoo Marans hens will have one barring gene if female and two barring genes if male. So the sons of those hens will look a bit lighter (more white/less black or blue) than any other chicks from these parents.

For the list of hen colors, I see the title says "Golden/Cuckoo/BC/BlueC/Splash"
I assume BC is Black Copper, but I'm not sure if BlueC is Blue Copper or Blue Cuckoo. I think I answered in a way that covers both options.
Wow! Thank you so much for all the info and taking the time to respond!! This is helpful for sure . :)

Back
Top Bottom