Randysflock119

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2024
Hi BYC family!
I am looking to replace my rooster (my sweet Randy was lost to a raccoon about 2 weeks ago) I live in an area with HEAVY predator pressure - main offenders are owls, hawks, foxes, raccoons, and coyotes. Since Randy died, I’ve already had 3 hens get eaten by a Fox 😣
So I’m looking for a rooster that is 1. Big, 2. Protective, 3. Cold-hardy and somewhat heat-tolerant (northern IL). I need a rooster that can potentially take on a hawk, but also isn’t going to chase me around.

I originally was looking for a Barred Rock rooster, and I did find one. But I also encountered a hatchery that doesn’t have BRs but offered a Malines. Then I got kind of interested in the Malines - similar look, and I like that they’re so big.

Now I’m deciding between these two breeds - I have options for a started cockerel of each breed. Can anyone tell me some of the differences of these two? The Malines is kind of hard to find info on. I’ve seen some say that BRs are agressive, and loud, others say they’re quiet and docile. I know at the end of the day, it just depends on the individual bird, but I’m looking for help deciding. Thank you!

Edit: for reference, after 3 back-to-back predator attacks, I have only 4 hens left - an Easter Egger, a Welsummer, and 2 Buff Orpingtons. I’m planning to add one or two pullets to the flock this summer for a total of 5 or 6 hens and 1 roo.

I currently have a coop/covered run/open pen setup that was built by the previous owners of my house. I’m planning to switch to an Omlet coop and walk-in run situation within the next month. The predators have figured out all the weaknesses of this set-up and it’s easier to start from scratch than it is to continue to try to improve this one.

I own a BR that took down a hawk, He attacks strangers but is completely nice to me (Probably because he knows me already) Truth is that BR's often see their caretakers like hens, They are extremely protective and make loud sounds whenever they see something they do not like, I have never heard of a maline though..

I am not familiar with Malines. Plymouth Barred tend to be good roos, but individual (and certain genetic lines) can vary greatly. You can not count on a dual purpose roo to fight off a fox. They are prey just like the hens. They may help in alerting the hens to head for cover or they might try to fight. Unfortunately more often than not staying to fight does not end in the roos favor.

I agree with @Yardmom The only battles roosters can even win is mostly just hawks or falcons, I have never heard a story where a rooster beat up a coyote, or a fox, or even an owl my best bet is to only really get Roosters if you want something to fight off hawks, You should get a guardian dog, Its a good investment and it can deter coyotes, foxes, raccoons, etc.

I agree with @Yardmom The only battles roosters can even win is mostly just hawks or falcons, I have never heard a story where a rooster beat up a coyote, or a fox, or even an owl my best bet is to only really get Roosters if you want something to fight off hawks, You should get a guardian dog, Its a good investment and it can deter coyotes, foxes, raccoons, etc.
Thank you, I am looking into bringing home a livestock guardian dog too :)

I am not familiar with Malines. Plymouth Barred tend to be good roos, but individual (and certain genetic lines) can vary greatly. You can not count on a dual purpose roo to fight off a fox. They are prey just like the hens. They may help in alerting the hens to head for cover or they might try to fight. Unfortunately more often than not staying to fight does not end in the roos favor.
This is good info. That’s what happened to my last rooster, poor guy. When you say ‘dual purpose’ breeds become prey, is there a breed you’d recommend that would be more protective? Thanks!

Hey, @LTAY, you have ginormous birds. Any of your roosters ever fight off a predator of any kind? Or can you recommend any for this OP that wiil/can?

Tagging @LTAY again.
The tag was missing the @LTAY1946. :)
For maline information look here: https://greenfirefarms.com/malines.html

I know of no breed that will take on predators and win all of the time. Big roosters are better than bantams for sure. My money would be on an Aseel or Indio Gigante if all you want is a rooster to fight off hawks. Have you considered a big Gander goose for a protector?

Back
Top Bottom