Battle of the Breeds - Cayuga vs. Pekin

BornToQuack

Songster
Jul 11, 2018
Portland, Oregon
Ok, so as I've mentioned in other threads, I've been considering expanding our flock from three ducks to four. After talking it over with the hubby, we've decided to stick with three ducks until we build a new duck house.

That said, I'm a planner, so I'm already trying to decide which breed would be the best to welcome into our existing family. So far, it's down to Cayugas and Pekins (we already have three Indian Runners).

Cayuga - Honestly, I just think they're darn gorgeous. Don't know much about their temperament, though, and it'd be nice to have a duck who'd cuddle with our son.

Pekin - Also beautiful, and I've read/heard a lot of great things about their temperament. Not sure if having such a large duck with our Runners would be a good idea, though.

Thoughts?

I have a pekin and a Cayuga. Honestly, they are both just downright precious! Neither of my boys will let me cuddle or pet them, but they do let me and my kiddos feed them treats. They like to follow me around in the yard and we talk to them all the time. My pekin is a little more stubborn than my Cayuga in the sense that if he knows I have to pick him up he will do whatever it takes to get away from me. Either way, you can’t go wrong! They are both adorable! Here is a picture of my boys!
9A2BCAB9-5223-4F84-8875-0B7CC07A5484.jpeg

Ok, so as I've mentioned in other threads, I've been considering expanding our flock from three ducks to four. After talking it over with the hubby, we've decided to stick with three ducks until we build a new duck house.

That said, I'm a planner, so I'm already trying to decide which breed would be the best to welcome into our existing family. So far, it's down to Cayugas and Pekins (we already have three Indian Runners).

Cayuga - Honestly, I just think they're darn gorgeous. Don't know much about their temperament, though, and it'd be nice to have a duck who'd cuddle with our son.

Pekin - Also beautiful, and I've read/heard a lot of great things about their temperament. Not sure if having such a large duck with our Runners would be a good idea, though.

Thoughts?
I have both breeds and love them. Size will not be an issue if you go with Pekins, so long as you get a female.

Pekins! Pekins! I have 2 Pekins they are amazing! Your son I'm sure will love to train them, right? I train my male duck. I've taught him to follow me, open the door, close the door, and unlock the door from the outside! I also taught him to jump off a rock into our pond, but I think he wants to do that anyway.

If you are only getting 1 duckling , I would get another Runner. Runners like to stay together in their own little group. That being said, it’s best to get at least 2 ducks at a time. If you are able to get more than 1-2 ducklings and have narrowed it down to those 2 breeds, I would definitely go with the Cayuga, as they are closer in size to the Runner, which would most likely result in less conflicts.

Question: Are you planning on getting ducklings or adults?

The plan would be ducklings so they'd hopefully form a closer bond with our son. We know raising a single duckling isn't advisable since they get lonely, so ideally we'd get two and raise them together. The hard part is convincing my husband to expand our flock by two instead of one.

Personally, i would go with Magpies or Buff-Orpingtons - My Buff ducklings are sooo laid back. Yes they don't like to be picked up at the moment, but when they realize i won't eat them they relax and start looking around.
Given the choice between just Cayugas or Pekins and the condition that you have Indian Runners, i would choose the Cayugas. Pekins are a heavy breed and that could cause conflicts in the future: A full grown Pekin duck is easily able to keep the Runners away from the feeder and empty it all by herself. But a Pekin wouldn't be able to keep up with a gang of Runners, running in circles around her/him. You could end up with two distinct groups of ducks, the Pekins and the Runners…

Back
Top Bottom