BCM or brahma mix?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I was hoping they’d be BCM mixes but I’m starting to think I got unlucky 😅 thoughts?

Not very good photos. They’re pretty skittish. Dola has a white face and black body but she has white growing in with black on her wings and tail, her feet feathers are also white.
Jiji is black with white facial markings and mostly black feet feathers, also developing white in her wings and tail… I haven’t checked their combs but I’m fairly certain they’re at least mostly pea. Think I got a shot with at least one of them having a BCM momma and Brahma dad?

Attachments

• IMG_3926.jpeg
    IMG_3926.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3927.jpeg
    IMG_3927.jpeg
    798.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3928.jpeg
    IMG_3928.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3929.jpeg
    IMG_3929.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3930.jpeg
    IMG_3930.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3931.jpeg
    IMG_3931.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 9
I was hoping they’d be BCM mixes but I’m starting to think I got unlucky 😅 thoughts?

Not very good photos. They’re pretty skittish. Dola has a white face and black body but she has white growing in with black on her wings and tail, her feet feathers are also white.
Jiji is black with white facial markings and mostly black feet feathers, also developing white in her wings and tail… I haven’t checked their combs but I’m fairly certain they’re at least mostly pea. Think I got a shot with at least one of them having a BCM momma and Brahma dad?
Do you know what color eggs they hatched from?

If they have a BCM mother, and they have pea combs, and you only have the two roosters in the listing, then yes they would have to have the Light Brahma father. Two parents with single combs would produce just chicks with single combs.

Do you know what color eggs they hatched from?

If they have a BCM mother, and they have pea combs, and you only have the two roosters in the listing, then yes they would have to have the Light Brahma father. Two parents with single combs would produce just chicks with single combs.
Sadly no, it was a mixed incubator and the seller didn’t know who’s what.. I figured the dad was a Brahma but I wasn’t sure about the mom. (By “Barrack” she meant “barred rock”) and I have no clue how to/if it’s possibly to even tell if the mom was a BCM
I have awful wording. Basically- I wasn’t sure if the leg feathers were ONLY from the Brahma or from the Brahma AND a feather legged momma. The fact that Dola only has white leg feathers is mainly what’s concerning me

Sadly no, it was a mixed incubator and the seller didn’t know who’s what.. I figured the dad was a Brahma but I wasn’t sure about the mom. (By “Barrack” she meant “barred rock”) and I have no clue how to/if it’s possibly to even tell if the mom was a BCM
I have awful wording. Basically- I wasn’t sure if the leg feathers were ONLY from the Brahma or from the Brahma AND a feather legged momma. The fact that Dola only has white leg feathers is mainly what’s concerning me
In that case, I think the chicks probably do have the Brahma father, because I would expect the White Giant rooster to produce chicks that look black instead of showing a pattern of Silver and black.

With a Light Brahma father, I do not think there is any good way to tell if the mother is the Marans or one of the other breeds. The amount of leg feathering is not likely to be different enough to tell one way or the other.

The color of leg feathers is controlled by the same genes that control the color of the other feathers on the chicken. I do not think the white foot feathers tell us anything in particular, just the same things we could figure out from the white in the other feathers. That white means the chicks have the Silver gene, which would be inherited from the Light Brahma father, no matter what breed the mother is.

The Barred Rock and the Black Jersey Giant are probably not the mother of either chick. I would expect chicks from either of those hens to grow mostly black feathers, more than what either chick is currently showing.

I do not see muff/beard on the face of either chick. If they had a muff & beard, it would mean they had one parent with that trait (would have to be the mother, because both roosters are clean-faced breeds.) But if the chicks have clean faces (no muff/beard), that does not tell us anything definite about the mother (a chicken with muff/beard can sometimes produce clean-faced chicks, and two clean-faced parents will definitely produce clean-faced chicks.)

If they turn out to be female, you will be able to tell something when they start laying eggs. If they have the blue egg gene, they will lay blue or green eggs, and would have a mother that laid blue or green eggs as well. But if they lay brown eggs, they could come from any of the hens (probably even from the Easter Eggers or Olive Eggers, because those sometimes have the gene for not-blue eggs.) If they lay dark brown eggs, that would mean a dark-laying mother, probably BCM but possibly Olive Egger.

If you really care about the egg color there is a genetic test available for the blue egg gene, but I would guess it is not worth the money and the time & bother at the present time. https://iqbirdtesting.com/blueegg

Back
Top Bottom