BDutch's bantam flock & natural breeding projects #5 🪺 🪺 and #6

4C795DD2-A91D-4029-A21B-FD5713DEB66B.jpeg
I found Black in Janices nest. Janice was together with Pearl in the other nest.

Took Black out. I think she just laid her egg. Because the extra egg was a Dutch one and a tiny bit wet.
After removing the egg I put Janice on her eggs. After one growling she looks happy again. Black had no extra eggs today.
There was one fresh egg from Katrientje in nestbox nr 3.

2ED4EB1A-D8F6-47D5-AD7F-9CAB713C1659.jpeg
Nestbox no 3 is in the right with stones on it. The epdm on the glass window is to make it darker inside and to prevent the rain coming in at the connection. Its a temporary construction. The easiest way to collect eggs is to take the stones and glass window aside. Hope this is adequate.

Behind the larger standing window are the 2 roosts and the poop board. The entrance for the chickens to the 3th nestbox goes underneath the poop board.

The first picture is Black coming through the pop door that connects the coop with the run. A second later Ini mini was doing the same.
0C83E589-6E7D-473D-8588-8976445DFF30.jpeg

Made a mistake yesterday.

After one growling she looks happy again. Black had no extra eggs today.
It should have been : “In Pearls nest were no extra new-laid eggs.”

Black and Pearl are both black Dutch. So easy to mix up. They are not 100% genetic black. Both are of the same father and mother (pure Dutch but mixed color). Dad was pyle/red schouldered white partridge. Mother was a lavender Dutch.
Only the rust color on their shoulders is distinctive. Pearl has more rust color than Black. Their characters are also different. Black is more bossy, comes to get a pet more often and is less shy.

Last year these two were a broody team. I’m not sure what Blacks intentions are now. Today Black had taken over Janices nest again. Strange, because she doesn’t lay every 24 hours.

Its obvious that Pearl and Janice are broody. And I don’t want a third broody thats for sure.

32CA0B40-661A-4613-AA61-6F2609F239D3.jpeg

Black (left) and Pearl.
Janice was ‘patiently’ waiting at the entrance.

Last edited:
Black is definitely broody too. I tried to brake her for a few days/nights. But it didn’t work. Yesterday I gave up to expel her from the nest-boxes.
I was in doubt wether to close of the coop/small run ( the broodies part) from the extension coop and large run, or leave her to do what she wants.

Expel her definitely means closing the ‘gate’ . The ‘gate’ is the opening on the left in the 2 photos with the pop door. This involves more time to feed / clean out poop and the broodies can’t stretch their legs properly if I’m not at home to be in control. Because I have busy working days next week and our neighbour takes care of the chickens after that for 6 days I decided to leave the flock to do as they prefer.

Black (the bossy new broody) is in one nest. Pearl and Janice in the other. All quiet and friendly.
I noticed this has an advantage too. Pearl was taking her time to dustbath and free ranged longer than usual before she returned to the nest.

999268B5-1C6A-4E10-8DDD-0C4AE64B3A33.jpeg

Took this pic on Friday evening of the cherry tree after closing the chickens in. It was just a few minutes before a storm with lightning and hail. The cherry is blossoming beautifully this year.

Last edited:
Came back yesterday. My neighbour was a fantastic chicken-sitter.

The 3 broodies kept the eggs warm and the 3 other hens got a chance to free range every day.
She took Kraai and the fake egg out of the third nestbox to break her broodiness. Today she was ready with her attempt.

My DDs boyfriend bought a large bag with chick feed at the mill. I ordered chick crumble but he bought a bag with pellet feed for broiler chicks. And now I wonder if this is right or wrong?

Is feed for broilers okay for heritage breed chicks too that hopefully will be laying hens someday?
I can’t find good info on this subject. Its organic and not medicated. I can post a pic of the bag tomorrow if you want more info.

@Perris , I’m tagging you because you are an expert on feed. But I appreciate other opinions too.

Back
Top Bottom