BDutch's bantam flock & natural breeding projects #5 🪺 🪺 and #6

Pics
I got way behind in this thread but all caught up now! I’m happy for you that you got some of the problems with too many birds resolved.
I’ve found it challenging to add birds to a small flock. Especially since now I have 5 out of 6 hybrid layers. They are active friendly chickens but the last bunch I had were homicidal! :gig
I always thought that adding chicks with a broody that hatches eggs within the flock was no problem.

Janice in 2019 was the first that didn’t integrate nicely. She was expelled from the roost area. And searched another safe spot in the coop area.

This year was the second time I had integration problems.
At first the adults didn’t mind if they slept inside. The chicks divided themselves over the different area’s in the coop. But after my vacation and after I broke up the broody behaviour of 4 hens, the 9 chicks all got expelled from the whole coop area. That was when they started to roost in the run as a complete group.

I’m still wondering if I could have done something different to avoid that situation.

I’m still wondering what the best strategy is to get the 2 pullets inside without the adults reacting aggressive every evening at roost time.

Clearing the cover and the roost in the main run didn’t make the chicks go inside. They stay put in the main run. It seems they like to be near to coop. They don’t want to sleep on the branch or the tiny coop in the second run.

For the time being I’m still hoping they sort it out themselves. The 2 pullets can’t be a threat to the adults anymore. They act humble being the lowest in the pecking order.

🤔 I wonder ... what is the best option to get the pullets inside (safe) every evening

Options that crossed my mind:
1. pushing them inside shortly before the auto pop door closes but after the adults have roosted (difficult, delicate timing)
2. pick the sleepy pullets up and bring them inside after the pop door is closed and adults have roosted. I wonder how many weeks it takes to make a change.
3. do nothing because pushing can have an opposite effect. Just wait and see.
4. leave the pop door open a bit longer and put a light on for the pullets to find the way in after dark. Maybe put a curtain in the roost area so the adults dont see the pullets coming in through the pop door.
5. add a small coop for the two pullets in the main run near the pop door entrance were they can sleep out of sight for predators, where its dry, hoping they will use it. Probably they will go inside to sleep with the other hens somewhere in the future. I have a tiny coop ( a hutch or big nesting box) standing in the second run. Only need to make a frame, to get it off the ground.

Abby standing on the tiny coop.
IMG_3265.jpeg

IMG_1158D.jpeg

I got way behind in this thread but all caught up now! I’m happy for you that you got some of the problems with too many birds resolved.
I’ve found it challenging to add birds to a small flock. Especially since now I have 5 out of 6 hybrid layers. They are active friendly chickens but the last bunch I had were homicidal! :gig
Yes! The homicidal tendencies of hybrid layers can be a little intense!

IMG_2023-02-28-19-17-57-801.jpg

I’m still wondering what the best strategy is to get the 2 pullets inside without the adults reacting aggressive every evening at roost time.

Clearing the cover and the roost in the main run didn’t make the chicks go inside. They stay put in the main run. It seems they like to be near to coop. They don’t want to sleep on the branch or the tiny coop in the second run.

For the time being I’m still hoping they sort it out themselves. The 2 pullets can’t be a threat to the adults anymore. They act humble being the lowest in the pecking order.

🤔 I wonder ... what is the best option to get the pullets inside (safe) every evening

Options that crossed my mind:
1. pushing them inside shortly before the auto pop door closes but after the adults have roosted (difficult, delicate timing)
2. pick the sleepy pullets up and bring them inside after the pop door is closed and adults have roosted. I wonder how many weeks it takes to make a change.
3. do nothing because pushing can have an opposite effect. Just wait and see.
4. leave the pop door open a bit longer and put a light on for the pullets to find the way in after dark. Maybe put a curtain in the roost area so the adults dont see the pullets coming in through the pop door.
5. add a small coop for the two pullets in the main run near the pop door entrance were they can sleep out of sight for predators, where its dry, hoping they will use it. Probably they will go inside to sleep with the other hens somewhere in the future. I have a tiny coop ( a hutch or big nesting box) standing in the second run. Only need to make a frame, to get it off the ground.

Abby standing on the tiny coop.
View attachment 3609640
View attachment 3609641
Well, I think a second coop is good for many reasons.

The pullets may not use it forever. In time they may all prefer to be in one coop, eg for warmth in winter.

On the other hand, on several occasions I've interfered with one or two hens roosting habits after dark and it's taken maybe a few days for them to adapt to the new roost. So maybe give it a try after they're sleepy and see how many days before they all try roosting together.

Abby and Chef are gorgeous, by the way!

I would also begin by putting them in the coop for a week at night, and combine that with setting the auto door a bit later, in case they decide to give it a try on their own.
My 12 weeks old lot began by going to sleep almost an hour after everyone else, now it's more like half an hour. They always check that everyone is roosted before entering the coop.

I would also begin by putting them in the coop for a week at night, and combine that with setting the auto door a bit later, in case they decide to give it a try on their own.
My 12 weeks old lot began by going to sleep almost an hour after everyone else, now it's more like half an hour. They always check that everyone is roosted before entering the coop.
Thanks. Sounds like a plan.
Now I have to think were to put them as long as they don’t go in by themselves.

In June I made 3 roosts to make more space for all the chicks in the coop extension. Then hens only use the 1 at the back against the wall (top door) .
When I ‘pushed’ the pullets in the coop last Sunday they roosted on the third roost. This third roost is nearest to the pop door. Its a difficult spot to put the pullets to roost because I then have to lift the pullets over the 5 hens that roost there and would disturb them.

In the original coop where the nest boxes are, is the place where Janice sleeps since shortly after she stopped being a caring broody. And she is one of the hens that definitely doesn’t tolerate the pullets coming in. Disturbing Janice is probably not a good idea. She might get even more aggressive if I interfere with her.

The middle part (small covered run/see photo ) is a good place to sleep for the 2 pullets until it gets cold late autumn 🍂 .
If I add a better roost than the branch in the picture its is a nice and easy spot to put the pullets to roost without disturbing the adults.

IMG_8016.jpeg

The photo is 2 years old, when I had 3 RiR , 1 cockerel and 2 hens.

The original coop without the extension.
IMG_1954.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_3281.jpeg

Chef and Abby listen better every day, when they need to come to coop. So great how quickly these chickens learn (with treats) . They know now what to do when I clap my hands.

We have a few appointments this week. Therefore the plan suggested by Manue is on hold for another week.

Idea nr 5 was very easy to realise for the time being.

The pullets seems to be very very happy with their own smal coop in the run. After I put it up the immediately inspected it. And in the evening the both went up to roost in it.

The mini coop on a chair near to the coop entrance
IMG_3272.jpeg

Ini mini moulting.
IMG_3280.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes! The homicidal tendencies of hybrid layers can be a little intense!

View attachment 3609642
When I brought the young ones home they screamed their heads off! It was the most horrible sound! I did make a short recording because I thought it was so bizarre!!! I should post it somewhere so you all could hear them. Insane!!!

When I brought the young ones home they screamed their heads off! It was the most horrible sound! I did make a short recording because I thought it was so bizarre!!! I should post it somewhere so you all could hear them. Insane!!!
If you add an image you can post it on YouTube. The link you get can be posted here.

Yesterday evening I watched the chickens social interaction.

The older adults roosted early. Janice and Katrientje (the worst bullies) where going in the run (exploring - eating scratch left overs) and back to the coop again. Chef checked out the mini coop. And after that, Janice did too. I seamed that Janice was looking for bugs in the mini coop.
When Chef, the white pullet entered the coop, there was no fighting. 😅 Nice not to have any arguing in the flock.

Kraai was missing! Thought she might have roosted in the pear tree. But no. She was in a nest box. The day before she acted as if she was broody. So I expelled her from the nest box and closed the small coop with the nest boxes.

Shortly before the auto pop closed, All hens roosted in the coop extension and the pullets in the mini coop.

Free ranging on the terrace. Chef:
IMG_3289.jpeg

Abby:
IMG_3290.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom