BDutch's bantam flock & natural breeding projects #5 🪺 🪺 and #6

Pics
Chicken works

Last sunday the chicken guard got stuck. It probably didn’t open up in the morning. But I didn’t see it until we returned from a short walk in a forest nearby. Fotunately I picked up two broodies and ‘dumped’ them in the second run. So the coop/run combi wasn’t too crowded for long and there is always water in the coop/run and in the second run.

When we came home MDH released the girls and noticed the problem. The thread to pul the door up ⬆️ was a bit messed up.

Monday it worked fine, but Yesterday it got stuck again and I didn’t have time to fix it in time because there was another possible problem….

In the meantime the pullets still sleep in the tiny coop in the run. The chickens are acting quite nervous due to the problems with the pop door and two stubborn broody hens I'm trying to break. Therefore I don’t think the time is right to put the pullets in the coop each evening.

Yesterday I discovered tiny things in the tiny coop where the 2 pullets sleep. These things were looking like mites, and crawled in a mite control roll, but not one of them were red when I squashed them. The pullets don’t seemed to be bothered by it.
I didn’t like it and cleaned the coop thoroughly. Finding a couple of small spiders looking like the emoji 🕷️ and a few small spiders nest in an edge on the bottom of the coop.

After that it was time to make a late dinner and it was to late to fix the safety pop door (chicken guard) between coop/run and the large run. So I opened the door and blocked it from falling down.
My run is rather safe but I don’t trust it as well as the coop/run.

I think the thread in the chicken guard is worn out and I’m doubting what to do.
I can start trying to fix the chicken guard with a nylon thread I have in my drawer. It’s worth a try and if it works it will cost me nothing but some time.
If that doesn’t work I need to leave the pop door open for a few more days and : Order a new chicken door system,
or ask the reseller if its possible to attach a new thread and if so, order a new thread with instructions.

The chicken guard problem is resolved by
deleting the end of the thread that was worn out and new batteries. It works fine again. The nylon thread I have in my drawer was too thin according to the chickenguard advice I got.
IMG_3310.png

Therefore the plan suggested by Manue is on hold for another week.

I decided to leave the pullets in their tiny coop for a longer period because I have 3 mean hens who still don’t tolerate the chicks. They are the reason I dare not to interfere in the preference of the pullets to sleep in their own small coop in the run. I don’t want any more hens that are psychologically damaged because I forced them to sleep somewhere else as they prefer. They probably know better.

Only sleeping in trees and broodies sleeping in nest boxes are a no go at the moment.

The run is not a Fort Knox but it was improved and more secure as 1+ years ago when a fox managed to enter the run. Last week I installed a strong light at with sensor with a small solar panel, at the most vulnerable side of the run. Its not something to rely on but It might help against some thieves.

Chef on top and Abby on the plank just before they went inside to roost.
IMG_3323.jpeg

Today we have lots of rain, thunder and lightning.
My chickens favourite spot is under the gutter / overhang where they can look into the garden and see what is going on in the human coop. 😀

The pullets are allowed to join at a small distance (50 cm / 2’) . Things seem to come at ease little by little.

IMG_3333.jpeg

IMG_3332.jpeg

Obvious they have leaned to stay underneath (pecking order) if they come nearer.
IMG_3336.jpeg

Awful weather.
Getting hail now too.

Last edited:
Just checked where everyone was sleeping. To my surprise grandma Ini mini was sleeping with the teenagers.
  • Abby, Chef and Ini mini in the tiny coop in the run.
  • Janice alone in the coop with the nest boxes
  • The other 4 hens in the extension coop.
And I caught a few snails 🐌 again in the restaurant. They love to eat from the chick pellets. A few more were hanging around in the run nearby.

The collected slime-jerks, ready to move to the green waste bin.
IMG_3350.jpeg

Just checked where everyone was sleeping. To my surprise grandma Ini mini was sleeping with the teenagers.
  • Abby, Chef and Ini mini in the tiny coop in the run.
  • Janice alone in the coop with the nest boxes
  • The other 4 hens in the extension coop.
And I caught a few snails 🐌 again in the restaurant. They love to eat from the chick pellets. A few more were hanging around in the run nearby.

The collected slime-jerks, ready to move to the green waste bin.
View attachment 3623786
It makes more cleaning but otherwise, why not leave the tiny coop permanently?

I’m afraid that forcing them into something that is (seems) convenient for me , is not good for the mental health of the pullets.
The pullets are still bullied by the older chickens from time to time. Especially when food is involved and at roosting time. The pullets are frightened to come close to the adults at such moments.

Like yesterday. When I wanted to lock up the chickens I scattered some grains and a few dried mealworms in the run (in fact in both connected runs). They could enter through the coop door and through the door of the run in the back. All adults appeared fast but the pullets didn’t come fast and were out of sight. I locked the doors to search for Abby and Chef. After 4- 5 minutes making food/come noises they finally appeared. I opened the back door again and kindly chased the pullets trough the run door. Abby got in first. But then Pearl came at the doorway to block the entrance for Chef. I was really pissed off, because Chef fled from the run and I had to get her inside somehow.

I gave some extra mealworms in the main run. And as expected all greedy adults (except Ini mini) went into the main run. I closed the small gate between de main run an the back run (with the door) . Now there were no bullies to stop Chef and I could make her move towards the dooropening again. With the adults locked in the other run compartment I could give Ini mini, Chef and Abby some mealworm treats too. After they finished I opened up the in between gate again.

I’m glad the adults are not chasing the pullets anymore most of the day. But for me it’s obvious it’s best to give them the space they need to feel safe. Locking the pullets up in the coop area with the adults over night, might cause more bullying early mornings before the pop door to the run opens, and is possibly a bad idea. The pullets can’t flee properly from the adults in the coop area. In the coop area they have just 2.5m2 and there are no proper hiding places.

A second reaction, because I misinterpreted it wrong this morning.

The run where the tiny coop is , is not as safe as the coop. In the past I had rats in the run a few times and 2 years ago a fox managed to get inside. I did improve the safety every time something nasty had happened. Its almost like a Fort in the meantime , its still not as safe as the coop area though.

But its a good idea to leave the tiny coop in the run for the time being. With the improvements I made ( hwc , other fencing materials and the sensor light) its seems to be fine.

If the run is not safe enough and a fox or a polecat manages to get inside it will be heartbreaking sad but I won’t loose all my flock.

The only thing that needs improvement right now is the second feeding station in the second run. I don’t like it that I have so many snails over there eating from the chicks feed.
  • cut the ivy where the snails have a perfect hiding place.
  • replace the bowls and rain cover (plastic stool) to a dryer spot
  • add grinded coffee waste.
If that doesn’t work I have to make a dry and hanging feeding station.

Last edited:
A second reaction, because I misinterpreted it wrong this morning.

The run where the tiny coop is , is not as safe as the coop. In the past I had rats in the run a few times and 2 years ago a fox managed to get inside. I did improve the safety every time something nasty had happened. Its almost like a Fort in the meantime , its still not as safe as the coop area though.

But its a good idea to leave the tiny coop in the run for the time being. With the improvements I made ( hwc , other fencing materials and the sensor light) its seems to be fine.

If the run is not safe enough and a fox or a polecat manages to get inside it will be heartbreaking sad but I won’t loose all my flock.

The only thing that needs improvement right now is the second feeding station in the second run. I don’t like it that I have so many snails over there eating from the chicks feed.
  • cut the ivy where the snails have a perfect hiding place.
  • replace the bowls and rain cover (plastic stool) to a dryer spot
  • add grinded coffee waste.
If that doesn’t work I have to make a dry and hanging feeding station.
I'm also having problems with snails and slugs getting into the chicken food.

Back
Top Bottom